Word play (swearing)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
If someone uses the f word, a politer version is to say "effing" like instead of "oh f this" it's " oh eff this" (when I say f, I mean the actual swear word).

But doesnt this just mean effing has itself become a swear word? It's a bit like when people substitute asterisks for the uck part as in f***. Like, everyone knows you are swearing regardless whether you write out the word, or use pseudos like effing or f***.

Other such words are to add an e as in shite to mean shoot. INA a similar way,could one say farke (notice the e) to mean f (the word)?

There is also beotch to mean, well, you know. And also barsteward, and I'm sure there are others.

Anyway, I have been brought up to not swear at all but it sure does add flair. Comedians swear a lot but you get those comedians who swear to enhance an already funny joke (fine) and those comedians who aren't funny but the crowd seems to enjoy the swearing (eff that shite beotches).

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Other such words are to add an e as in shite to mean shoot.
Shite is a regional usage, nothing to do with adding letters to avoid offence.

All uphill

Still rolling along
I had a strange conversation with a fellow cyclist who strongly believed the f-word and c-word were somehow inherently awful.

I argued that they are just sounds like any other and that any disgust lies in the way a society defines and uses them.

In the Netherlands every schoolchold knows that a fokker breeds horses and your kont is your bottom. Completely innocent words.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
If someone uses the f word, a politer version is to say "effing" like instead of "oh f this" it's " oh eff this" (when I say f, I mean the actual swear word).

But doesnt this just mean effing has itself become a swear word? It's a bit like when people substitute asterisks for the uck part as in f***. Like, everyone knows you are swearing regardless whether you write out the word, or use pseudos like effing or f***.

Other such words are to add an e as in shite to mean shoot. INA a similar way,could one say farke (notice the e) to mean f (the word)?

There is also beotch to mean, well, you know. And also barsteward, and I'm sure there are others.

Anyway, I have been brought up to not swear at all but it sure does add flair. Comedians swear a lot but you get those comedians who swear to enhance an already funny joke (fine) and those comedians who aren't funny but the crowd seems to enjoy the swearing (eff that shite beotches).
NSFW

View: https://youtu.be/h68CfIUkPKs

Naebody can swear like Billy. :becool:

Kryton521

Über Member
I like "Frell" and "Dren" There are others but I'll have to re-visit "Farscape" to remember them!

Kryton521

Über Member
Ever since saw "V" for the first time, I try to drag out, "Bollockkkkkkkssssss!"

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
My newspapers & periodicals of choice tend not to resort to asterisks, but treat their readers as adults.
I once found, in a secondhand bookshop*, a volume of essays by the Reverend Bowdler. I opened it half-expecting the text to consist of nothing but long dashes.

* The huge one in Alnwick, definitely worth a visit.

classic33

Leg End Member
Feck/Fecking whilst said in similar situations doesn't count as swearing, when compared to using the "F" word with a "u" not an "e".

Means the same, just not considered swearing.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
My newspapers & periodicals of choice tend not to resort to asterisks, but treat their readers as adults.
I once found, in a secondhand bookshop*, a volume of essays by the Reverend Bowdler. I opened it half-expecting the text to consist of nothing but long dashes.

* The huge one in Alnwick, definitely worth a visit.
Barter Books , in the old station... nice cafe now too.

Top Bottom