Words or phrases that you hate ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
And here's a Scottish mangling that I really hate:

'That thing what yous have did' - I feel like throwing myself off the building when I hear that one.

The thing is that this is not a mangling of English, it's because lowland Scots (and Northumbrian) are more directly related to Angle rather than Saxon or Jute dialects like Southern English. Yous as a plural for example, and the different use of tense is not incorrect English, it is a different kind of 'English'.

My pet hate is people who use 'disinterested' to mean 'uninterested'. Disinterested means unbiased, unpredjudiced. Uninterested means not interested in, or bored by.

Has anyone mentioned double negatives? What have you started? Anyway I've posted enough on this subject, I'm not posting no more...never!

Thats a triple so it is OK as it goes back to the meaning.

You aint not done nothin to not change it... not.

brockers

And... Relax! (No, that's not a phrase I particularly hate.)

These occasional spleen-venting and rage-discharging sessions do make me laugh. Makes you all seem normal for once! :biggrin:

One that gets me though is often found in the comments sections in newsapapers; when people ask a trite question and smugly answer it themselves using 'Hmmmm????? Thought not.'

wheres_my_beard

Über Member
"Water Cannon" apparently has no plural for some reason... and that bugs me.

"The Police used Water-Cannon to suppress the crowd" surely it's Water Cannons or a Water Cannon

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
People who say 'pal' or 'mate' [or even worse, 'm8' in messages] especially when used aggressively, or who use 'like', 'actually' and 'sort of' to give themselves time to think of the words they need [before they've thought through what it is they want to say] and those who say, "I'm debating whether to...'

...'Superb' is an irritating word.

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
I can tolerate most misuses, even the overuse of 'like', but one of the only two that really grate for me is:

"I want one of them"
"Look at them people over there"

THOSE, not them, although I do accept that in some parts of the UK it is part of local dialect.

I'm not saying what the other one is, because I'm liable to upset a lot of people who regularly use it.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Sports commentators who don't add the letters -ly to their adverbs... especially snooker, each one scrapes across my brain like chalk on a blackboard.

OP
OP
XmisterIS

XmisterIS

Purveyor of fine nonsense
Sports commentators who don't add the letters -ly to their adverbs... especially snooker, each one scrapes across my brain like chalk on a blackboard.

Perhaps they're all Germans!
biggrin.gif

I can tolerate most misuses, even the overuse of 'like', but one of the only two that really grate for me is:

"I want one of them"
"Look at them people over there"

THOSE, not them, although I do accept that in some parts of the UK it is part of local dialect.

I'm not saying what the other one is, because I'm liable to upset a lot of people who regularly use it.

"I feel a right Charlie" ? :biggrin:

Top Bottom