Work bike shed options - info needed :)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JhnBssll

Veteran
Hi all, I'm on the employee council at work and we've been given the go ahead to update our bike storage facilities. I was volunteered in my absence to spec the new installation which is great, because I would have put myself forward anyway :laugh:

I will shortly start some research in to the available options but thought I'd ask on here in parallel to get some real world input.

Here is the current setup:

20181116_092043.jpg

There is currently space for 60 bikes and in good weather this is fully utilised; realistically we need another 20 spaces minimum I would have thought. The new sheds will be in this same location so they will need to be fairly compact in size. Although they are behind a locked pedestrian gate they are accessible from the car park so some method of securely locking the bikes to the sheds is vital.

What options are out there? Are there any specific manufacturers of bike sheds I should look out for? Any input would be gratefully received - many thanks in advance! :okay:

MikeG

Guru

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
As what @rivers said. As utilised by a good few London rail stations.

View attachment 438986
There are a lot of shoot clones out there, with head-banging protrusions or things obstructing the slots, or lacking springs/hydraulics or locking points. You also need some ground level racks for bike/trikes that don't fit. Some need more maintenance than others.

Other makers which might be worth a look: broxap, velopa/autopa and asgard.

si_c

Guru
As @rivers suggested, I quite like those double layer rack systems, they are really good for capacity. You also really need to have a few sheffield stands at ground level for accessibility purposes - not everyone is able to lift their bikes onto those racks. Also as mentioned lighting is a big plus, as will work both for security and to help people get bikes etc at night.

Lastly I'd suggest some type of weather proofing for the sides of the shed. Perspex or similar around the outside would be ideal - to keep the worst of the rain out and way from bikes. At work we have curved bike stands that work really well with the roof coming down almost to ground level, however wind and rain still get in from the front and sides.

The best bike storage I've seen is at a local university - totally enclosed storage with key-fob access.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Presumably there isn't a bottomless pot of money available, so the most cost-effective and practical solution would probably be to relocate the existing racks in a back to back position and use the floor space freed up to install an additional shed of the same design as the existing ones.
The wedge shape of the area means rectangular footprint racks are never going to be a very efficient use of the ground available. A few open-air stands bolted to the floor and oriented at 90 degrees to each other would fill in the currently wasted triangular space between the walkway and existing shed by the railings and could serve as a latecomer's overspill. Bike use is probably weather-dependent to an extent, so not all of the racks would need to be roofed as in wet weather less staff are likely to want space there and in nice weather uncovered racks would not be a disadvantage..

Brains

Legendary Member
I would suggest you put a roof over as much of the bike rack as it is possible to do.
People will always park their bikes in the roofed area first
Some of the regulars will then get annoyed when they find the 'fair weather' cyclists have taken all the best slots

Bike parking needs to be;
Secure (Fobs and CCTV)
Roofed
Lit / Accessible at all hours (Subject to site location)
(In that order)

Top Bottom