Work colleague killed cycling in Reigate

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

al78

Guru
This came as a shock yesterday morning. A work colleague I have been doing research with was killed over the weekend when cycling along Rocky Lane, Reigate.

https://www.cyclingweekly.com/news/...witnesses-after-cyclist-dies-in-surrey-496664
https://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/live-updates-after-cyclist-dies-20410482

He leaves behind a wife and three sons.

It is unsure whether another vehicle was involved and the police are appealing for witnesses. Looking at Rocky Lane on a map, it is a narrow road with a fast descent off Reigate hill and what looks like at least partially blind bends. If there was no other vehicle involved, it is possible that what happened was similar to what happened to me on Coldharbour lane (near Dorking) years ago; fast descent on narrow road, vehicle appears ahead approaching, apply brakes, lose control at speed, hit tarmac hard. He has had a cycling accident before with a traumatic head injury so, like me, unlikely to survive a repeat.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
RIP :sad:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Massive sympathies to his family. Nasty narrow yellow (OS Legend <14ft) lane with no chance of getting past a car coming up the lane so no fun descending. At least (the OP's) Coldharbour Lane is wide enough to pass the oncoming car (wide yellow (OS Legend >14ft).
Going up OK, with the jeopardy of having to stop if a car comes the other way and then having trouble starting.
1618911309229.png

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Massive sympathies to his family. Nasty narrow yellow (OS Legend <14ft) lane with no chance of getting past a car coming up the lane so no fun descending. At least (the OP's) Coldharbour Lane is wide enough to pass the oncoming car (wide yellow (OS Legend >14ft).
Going up OK, with the jeopardy of having to stop if a car comes the other way and then having trouble starting.
Rocky Lane always felt nasty when I was learning to drive, it was narrow enough that you had to stop to let cars creep past each other, then there were hill starts....

But there's enough width for a car and a bike to pass, the bends aren't that treacherous, and the descent not particularly steep. The BHF use it annually on their London to Brighton ride.
There are far nastier descents locally, like Hilltop Lane to the east, which has harsh bends on a steep descent.

None of this sheds any light on what happened to the poor cyclist, and I certainly don't want to speculate.
RIP

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Having done some googling, it seems cars have a problem with the bends in Rocky Lane, and bike crashes often occur on the descent during London to Brighton events; probably overcrowding of the small roads; it was a nightmare when I did it.

Here's details of a serious bike crash in 2014: Crash during BHF L2B event - also see the comments, which refer to other crashes in the lane.
And here's an article about cars losing control, althoght it also refers to 4 cycling crashes during two L2B events: 2010/2011)

Take a look for yourselves: Rocky Lane (starts at 57:24 to 1:00:19, with the descent from about 58:30). It's not a big descent, the steep bit doesn't last long at all.

PK99

Legendary Member
Having done some googling, it seems cars have a problem with the bends in Rocky Lane, and bike crashes often occur on the descent during London to Brighton events; probably overcrowding of the small roads; it was a nightmare when I did it.

Here's details of a serious bike crash in 2014: Crash during BHF L2B event - also see the comments, which refer to other crashes in the lane.
And here's an article about cars losing control, althoght it also refers to 4 cycling crashes during two L2B events: 2010/2011)

Take a look for yourselves: Rocky Lane (starts at 57:24 to 1:00:19, with the descent from about 58:30). It's not a big descent, the steep bit doesn't last long at all.

It undoubtedly a nasty road to ride. I've not done it for a long time, but normally chose a longer route on busier, bigger roads.

very sad news, RIP.
Have no idea of what happened in this case, but take care on narrow descents like this with close hedges - I know a few coming of the Downs and have suddenly met cars. Never let the bike run so that you can't brake quickly under full control if needed. An extra hazard is that there can be gravel/hedge debris which causes particular issues with sudden braking.

OP
OP
al78

al78

Guru
very sad news, RIP.
Have no idea of what happened in this case, but take care on narrow descents like this with close hedges - I know a few coming of the Downs and have suddenly met cars. Never let the bike run so that you can't brake quickly under full control if needed. An extra hazard is that there can be gravel/hedge debris which causes particular issues with sudden braking.

An added hazard is that these narrow unclassified roads in Sussex and Surrey are often in a poor condition which can compromise bike control.

Top Bottom