Working from home

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Is something I find difficult to do. There are just too many distractions. I don't know how my colleagues manage with kids shouting about the house. I am wondering what to do about it.

D

Deleted member 26715

I've done it off & on for 30 years, including self employed, I currently do 2 days in the office & 3 days at home, partly as they have refused a payrise in 8 years, so I refused to come into the office as the costs have increased dramatically however that's an aside.

When the kids were young I built a very small office in the garage, the rule was when I'm in there, I'm working & cannot be disturbed unless it's urgent. The kids grew up with this rule & it worked well, I now work out of the small bedroom but the rule still exists, the wife does not disturb me when I'm in there, in fact she whatsapp, google chats & has been known to ring me just as though I'm in the office 20 miles away.

dodgy

Is something I find difficult to do. There are just too many distractions. I don't know how my colleagues manage with kids shouting about the house. I am wondering what to do about it.

That's one of the questions we are asked when about to start home working - "will you have a quiet work space". If the answer is no, you are refused.

Surprised you weren't asked the same?

I've worked at home for many years, I've adapted to it pretty well, but then the role is perfect for it.

Slick

Guru
A couple of my neighbor's work from home and both tell me it takes a bit of perseverance being able to detach themselves from home life for a time when at work. It seems to work for them and one in particular is saving over 3 hours a day on the commute.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I worked from home 2 days a week for many years but for the last 2 years I’ve worked from home continuously with only the occasional visit (about once per month) to my London based office.

As others have said you need to be disciplined, but the big issue for me is the isolation resulting from spending so much time in the home and not meeting colleges “face to face” on a regular basis. On the other hand my home office is very comfortable and I really do not miss the daily commute.

vickster

Legendary Member
I work better at home and it saves me 2-3 hours commuting...I do charge £100 more when I go into the office however so it does have some upside I guess (but I have to get up 2 hours earlier)

I like to be in the office a couple of days a week for meetings and to meet with the teams and am probably less productive doing the actual work (while at home I can get through what would take 7 hours in the office in 5-6). If I'm not busy, I'd much rather be at home...nothing worse than trying to look busy and kill time in an office!

My study is very small but has everything I need in it

Drago

Legendary Member
Never worked for a living from home. Done a fair bit of SAR admin over time and I don't have a real problem - I tend to do that when Mrs D is out and Mini D at school, so it's all quiet and kushty, just me and my dawg.

gavgav

Guru
I enjoy doing it, but only now and then, particularly if I need to concentrate on an important task without being interrupted and pestered. Easy to concentrate for me, as I’m the only person in the house. I wouldn’t want to do it long term though, would miss the interaction with staff and the banter

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
My university office is now a group office rather than a solo/dual one. It means that if something really needs concentration I've no chance.

As a result I work from home 1-2 days a week, particularly during the marking period. Some days I'm very productive and on the odd day I'm not.

However, it's a 'professional contract' rather than a standard one so I have to manage my own time. When you realise you've just wasted an hour that is now two since the work still needs doing self-discipline sets in. We do have a seperate study/office that I share with my wife though.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I worked from home for the last 10 years of my working life (apart from days spent surveying etc). I had an office (spare bedroom) which helped.
For the first few years I would get ready and wear a shirt & tie to get me in work mode. After that it became 2nd nature.
Edit
I did wear other clothes as well ^_^

D

Deleted member 26715

It can work the other way as well, if I'm going into the office I'm behind my desk at 7:30 or earlier, I then try to leave before 15:30 to get ahead of the traffic, but just recently that isn't working as the traffic seems to be starting earlier. However when at home, I'm often behind my desk just after 7:00 & depending on what my wife is doing I'm sometimes still there at 17:00 sometimes find it "difficult to leave it till tomorrow" which I would if I had traffic to contend with.

Brains

Legendary Member
Don't like doing myself, as the washing up becomes more interesting that working.
I also miss the structure of having to be in the office by a certain time (and the cycle ride to get there)
I my business we are effectively 'on call' 24x7 if needed.
So today "Saturday" I have done about a hour of home work.

Last edited:

Brains

Legendary Member
A friend of mine works at the head office of a large high street bank.
They expect staff to work from home 3 days a week, and run a hot desk system where you can only book 'your' desk a week ahead

My fiend lives in a fairly basic house, no TV, no WiFi, and I'll bet a monthly electricity bill that is in single figures.
(He also refuses to heat the house, surprisingly, he lives on his own....)
He always works late on a Friday so that he can get in his booking for his desk for every day the following week

I think HR have given up trying to get him to work from home for now, but sooner or later they will 'move' him to another office where a daily commute will be impossible.

Last edited:
Top Bottom