Working my way back to the commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
Not done the commute since Xmas. 'the virus' got me and when I thought I was OK, I got back on the bike for a trip down the shops. Big mistake, chest infections kept me off since.

Wound me up, toys for the bike featured in the Xmas pressies!

So now I'm getting back into it. But figure with a month off, it might be better to have a few local rides before hitting the 30 mile round trip.

Glad I did!

With the added excuse of very strong winds - the result of the first attempt was a 10 mile ride averaging 14mph

On the positive side I know know my 'comfortable' cadence on the bike is about 84, only thing is I'm not fit enough to maintain it and the gears aren't as '2nd nature' as they were.

Looks like I got me a short term challenge :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Just take it slow and steady. The weather is still foul and there are plenty of virii about still. All the best.

Keith Oates

Janner
gambatte, after a month off the bike you're bound to be a little 'rusty' but after a couple of quiet(ish) rides the flow will return!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maz

Guru
Good luck getting back on the bike, Gambatte. Won't be long before you're back into the swing of things.

Reminds me of when I was off the bike for 2 months over the summer after I broke my metatarsal. I was really unfit, but on the plus side all that crutch walking built up my biceps.

bonj2

I only cycled once last week, on monday, and went out on the mtb at the weekend and i was a bit crap. Going to 'dip my bread' tomorrow if the weather's like it has been today.
Strangely i find the commute home a lot easier than the commute in. Probably due to the wind today, but normally I'm tired in the morning. I would recommend drinking a lot of coffee.

It's getting noticeably lighter aswell - was still light at almost 5 o clock today!

OP
OP
G

gambatte

Middle of the pack...
bonj said:
It's getting noticeably lighter aswell - was still light at almost 5 o clock today!

Yeah, I've noticed this as well.

Typical - I've finally sorted the lights to the configuration I want!!:smile:

bonj2

abitrary once made the observation that it's not a nice gradual thing but jumps in stages - and isn't equally shared between morning and night. I think he's right

threefingerjoe

Über Member
Be careful this time of year, though. As the daylight gets longer, dawn and dusk cut into our commuting times, and the motorists like to drive without their lights! THEY can see, but no lights makes it hard for others to see THEM, especially in the mirror. I was once approaching an oncoming car parked at the side of a residential street (narrow) with his lights on...(I guess he was waiting for his carpool mate). Anyway, as I approached, a car came around him, with NO LIGHTS. The combination of the car with no lights, passing a car with headlights shining at me, caused me to not see the moving car until the last instant!

Top Bottom