Working on your own bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Too much all in one go. I change one gear at a time as the bike slows down so that my cadence increases smoothly.
That is exactly WHY it can be set up to do that, it is the exact opposite of "too much all in one go".

I think many of us do similar manually (though maybe only changing one at the rear) because as you say, just changing from big ring to small is too much at one time.

The problem with systems that can be programmed to do what you want automatically is that you need to know and predict what you need. When they do what you don't want it becomes a PITA fighting a running battle to stop them.

Well in this case, I would know. It has nowadays become ingrained habit, if I am changing the front ring, I also change the rear at the same time. But occasionally you will forget, and sudddenly find yourself twiddling, or oif going the other way, suddenly in a much haarder gear than you wanted.

presta

Guru
That is exactly WHY it can be set up to do that, it is the exact opposite of "too much all in one go".
What he said was:
I simply press both levers and the chain jumps to the granny gear and moves two cogs down on the back.
That's the equivalent of about 4 sprockets all at once, more if you start on the big ring.

Just how many different programs are there, and how many different buttons to choose from?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Just how many different programs are there, and how many different buttons to choose from?
I'm going to hazard a guess that you really don't care and certainly don't wish to know.
On the 'number of buttons' question it's 2 unless it's a TT bike in which case you can fit a couple of 'satellites' (to make 4).

OP
OP
R

rydabent

Veteran
I hoped you'd add value (and knowledge) to this thread, beyond asserting that bike maintenance is simple (bear in mind the regular readership of this sub-forum).
Sorry you didn't feel able so to do, and btw, they can't all be the least complicated. Or are you really unable to differentiate?
Did you get caught by the IBM pension scheme changes dilemma as well?

No I took a buy out in '93 and have the old real IBM pension plan.

It's a motivation thing for me, unless it's broken I rarely do more than basic maintenance on my bikes. Even if it's broken I might just retire the bike to the back of the shed and ride something else until I run out of bikes lol

Reactions: C R

Alex321

Veteran
What he said was:

That's the equivalent of about 4 sprockets all at once, more if you start on the big ring.

By "down" I'm quite sure he meant to smaller cogs, not to lower gears.

Nobody would ever program it (or do it manually) the other way, except by mistake, so I never even considered he might have meant what you assumed.

Top Bottom