Working out mileage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Phixion

I don't have a smart phone or cycle computer but I'd like to work out my mileage, is there any way? I tried with google maps but it seems to want to give me shortcuts all the time, no matter which route I tell it to go.

Is there anything else out there that I can use to calculate mileage?

Cheers

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation

jay clock

Massive member
www.ridewithgps.com is the easiest I find. Only thing of note is that you have choice of "follow roads" or "draw lines" and that you can change these during a route. So if you come to a bit where the map wont allow you to follow the road, switch it off for a mo, then back on again. You end up with a route looking something like this...... http://ridewithgps.com/routes/370630 - that took about 60 secs to do

Don't you drag sections of the google calculated route to fit your preferred one ? It's how I work out the distance on routes I'm considering.

OP
OP
P

Phixion

The problem I find is that when I get to a certain point, it decides to join my start/end lines together, which I don't want to do.

Both google maps and bikehike is doing it...

Same with RideGPS.

gbb

Legendary Member
The problem I find is that when I get to a certain point, it decides to join my start/end lines together, which I don't want to do.

Both google maps and bikehike is doing it...

Same with RideGPS.
With bikely and mapmyride, there's a button to switch on and off the 'follow road' function. Switch it off and it'll just draw a straight line between the points. Maybe you're switching that function off. I like bikely...mapmyride sent my pc processor mental.

OP
OP
P

Phixion

I see, thanks!

I was turning on "draw lines" but I was dragging rather than click... now it's working fine.

Thanks guys :smile:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Follow the route on an Ordnance Survey map, 1 in 25,000 is best. Count every time the route crosses a blue grid line, even if it just dives across and back again. Halve the final number. That's the distance in miles. Dunno why it works, but it does and the further you go the more accurate it is.

fungus

Veteran
I still use mine - sometimes.

Still got mine too, only use it for getting a distance on walks though
thumbsup.png

Top Bottom