Working out tyre clearance?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

livpoksoc

Guru
After some mulling over, I am going to upgrade my wheels - likely to ones from The Cycle Clinic or Hunt.

Not going carbon as I'm 115kgs.

Either way, as I'm upgrading I'll choose the rim width for the widest tyres I can get - the question is how do I work out what that may be for the frame?

I have a Trek 3.1 Madone 3 Series (purchased in 2016, not sure if it's 2015's model though). It has rim brakes - I believe it's a 105 groupset but the brakes might be sora.

vickster

Legendary Member
What width tyres do you have currently and what does the clearance look like, at all the places where a tyre might contact the frame (And not just around the brakes)

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Its not an exact science because tyres which are supposedly the same size 25c, 28c etc are different dimensions from different manufacturers. Only way is suck it and see or find out what other owners of the same bike can get to fit.

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
What width tyres do you have currently and what does the clearance look like, at all the places where a tyre might contact the frame (And not just around the brakes)
Currently running 25mm Continental gp4000 clinchers. The tightest point seems to be between the tyre and seat tube and the seatstays. Possibly the front too.

I'm pretty comfy on the 25mms but if I can get 28mm then happy days.

Attachments

• 20201024_203956.jpg
    20201024_203956.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 47
  • 20201024_204004.jpg
    20201024_204004.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 48
  • 20201024_204022.jpg
    20201024_204022.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 47
  • 20201024_204035.jpg
    20201024_204035.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 44
OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
Its not an exact science because tyres which are supposedly the same size 25c, 28c etc are different dimensions from different manufacturers. Only way is suck it and see or find out what other owners of the same bike can get to fit.

Thanks - I'll see what I can find out. I have tried googling the model but it's a bit hit and miss especially with the groupsets as I guess it's down to the individual bike shop to determine what went on it before it went on display.

Sellotape a matchstick on either side of your current 25mm tyres and see if they catch any where, that will approx simulate a 28mm tyre but as said a different rim/tyre combo will give a different measurement.

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
Sellotape a matchstick on either side of your current 25mm tyres and see if they catch any where, that will approx simulate a 28mm tyre but as said a different rim/tyre combo will give a different measurement.

Thanks, will give it a go but suspect it'll be 25mm. No bother though.

Forget it! You won't get anything bigger on there.

If you did manage to just squeeze in the next nominal size up you would have trouble with rubbing as soon as you stand up and mash the pedals hard. Also if the wheels go even slightly out of true you will be in trouble.

Thanks - I suspect that might be the case.

si_c

Guru
The Madone 3.1 is a 2014 model - and came with 23mm tires originally. It's unlikely you'd be able to squeeze any 28mm tires in, although you may be lucky, but I'd be worried about rubbing against the stays if the wheel went out of true as @I like Skol said. Might be worth finding a friend who has a 28mm shod wheelset and seeing if they fit though.

For wheels, I'd go handbuilts from somewhere like DCR.

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru
The Madone 3.1 is a 2014 model - and came with 23mm tires originally. It's unlikely you'd be able to squeeze any 28mm tires in, although you may be lucky, but I'd be worried about rubbing against the stays if the wheel went out of true as @I like Skol said. Might be worth finding a friend who has a 28mm shod wheelset and seeing if they fit though.

Thanks. Will check them out though sure my mind is made up on the Borgs.

OP
OP
livpoksoc

livpoksoc

Guru

Well blow me down. It is 2014. I thought I bough the bike in 2016 but just dug out the owner's manual and there's a sales receipt in there for 2014.

Maybe N+1 isn't such a crazi idea after all :P

andrew_s

Legendary Member
In addition to rubbing with frame flex or out of true wheels, if you ever ride down a road where a farmer has been driving a tractor out of the fields, you'll get mud packing in under the seatstays (looking at it). Quite apart from frame abrasion, it can make pedaling quite hard work.

2014 is before wider tyres started to catch on, and anything over 25 mm on a road bike of that vintage is pushing it.

Top Bottom