Working out your ride pace.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrasB

Veteran
How do you judge how quickly to set out on a long ride? While I rack up a lot of miles it's all in short sub-20 miles jumps. My when loaded technique of going at full speed for 1/2 a mile or so to judge the extra load won't work as I'm riding weight free.

Today I did a 52 mile ride, I set out a gear or 2 lower & felt like I was taking it easy. Come the 40 mile mark I had an average of a touch over 19mph, obviously I was just spinning up more :biggrin:. I felt good at this point & was trying to work out an 11mile loop to make the ride a short century. Then promptly hit a brick wall 3 miles latter, I couldn't spin or grind effectively meaning the last 9 miles taking 43 min. It wasn't painful my legs just felt completely empty.

So just taking it easy isn't any good if I want to start racking up the miles as I seem to just spin up more. Sure I probably there for need to work on my distance riding but also I need to work out how to pace my self for a ride. Any tips etc?

ASC1951

Guru
Dunno. I go as fast as I can, all the time. TBH that isn't very fast these days and certainly not an average of 19 mph.

You need advice from a racing snake. Where is Jimboalee?

gavintc

Guru
I know people are resistant to HRM. But, when I set off on an sportive, the temptation is to get on the wheel of a passing rider. I use the HRM as a guide to self discipline to keep the HR within a known range. I can afford the odd peak, but I know if I am working over 90% for more than 30 mins, I will suffer later.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
The 'brick wall' you hit sounds like the bonk - you ran out of fuel. Carry something to eat - flapjack, energy bar, whatever.

I am Spartacus

Über Member
Rule of thumb ... never start off too quick.. build into a ride... warmups can vary .. from 5 10 15 mile before you actually start feeling like you are pedalling with power.
sounds like you did one of my tricks tho .. set off ... ride for longer than 'planned' reach for back pocket.. cupboard is bare :angry:
try to remember to stuff a few emergency gels in pocket whether you think you'll need them or not

With the HR... I use as guide... when the rate of perceived exertion is high because you are hanging onto someone's back wheel it is pretty damn obvious that you probably might not be able to keep pace up.. a figure on a read out isnt going to convince you to keep it going as you start to blow out.

jimboalee

Ian H said:
The 'brick wall' you hit sounds like the bonk - you ran out of fuel. Carry something to eat - flapjack, energy bar, whatever.

Yup, sounds like you let the tanks run dry.

40 miles at 19 mph average is about enough for anyone.

If its a racebike, you might be burning 35 -40 kCals per mile. At that intensity, it'll be mostly carbs.
1600 kCals is a lot to carry as stored glycogen. 400g of pure energy in your blood and liver.

Anyway. Now you know when you bonk, so get another 600 - 1000 kCals down you well before 43 miles.

OP
OP
GrasB

GrasB

Veteran
THanks for the replies I should have mentioned that I necked a recovery bar & a gel pack at around 25 to 30 miles (circa 700 cals). Though one thing I did notice today was both my water bottles were still on the bike completely full :smile:, could have I just simply run out of fluids?

Garz

Squat Member
I was going to concur with IanH's reply then read your new post above. I doubt the water would have made much difference as I have gone on some long rides and barely touched the bottles, its more linked to when its either hot or humid that you have to sip often.

My other theory would then be your body just isnt used to the mileage. Once it is pushed beyond the comfort zone it takes a couple of rides to shock the body into accepting the new distances. I had it when jumping from 22 mile loops to 35 mile loops, once I got a couple under my belt the pace didnt get lethargic.

bilko

10 more miles until coffee
I agree with Garz, when I up the miles I purposefully ride within my limits until I get to the point I know that I can ride, eg if moving up from 50 to 75 then I would limit the first 25, then ride at the speed I know I'm capable off for the last 50, but don't forget to keep fed & watered.

Top Bottom