Working up to 50 miles (for Charity)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NealM

Hi Folks

Not been on here for a while . . . But have been out on the BSO as often as possible

I'm trying to get as many miles in as I can; in the build up to the "Liverpool - Chester - Liverpool" charity ride on Sunday 7th July . . Which will be my first 50 miler :eek:

I'm also hoping that my cycle to work certificate comes through in the next couple of days so I can go and get my "real" bike . . I've been into the LBS and ridden the actual bike that will be mine and it is SO much more comfortable than the BSO that I'm currently riding . .

So fingers crossed that everything comes together in time for the ride on the 7th July

grumpyoldgit

Über Member
Enjoy your new ride,dont forget the pictures.

Bucket

You will be fine dont get to hung up on doing the distance when training its time in the saddle that counts

OP
OP
NealM

NealM

I've managed about 35 miles so far, and am hoping to get up to 40 - 45 before the actual event . . . But my first 50 will be the event its self . .To be honest as long as I get my cycle to work certificate, and can go and get my proper bike I think I'll be fine . . (Just don't fancy the prospect of having to complete the 50 miles on my BSO ! ! ! :laugh:

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
Doing your first 50 is such a good feeling. I found it as much a mental attitude as a riding challenge. I suggest you have some fluid with you, plus some sweetie treats so you can reward yourself every ten miles or whatever. Once you've done your 50, the next 50+ seems to go easier because you know you've done it before.
Enjoy the ride.

IanG1

My furthest ride before was only 28 miles, I tried to concentrate on more regular shorter 15/20 mile rides and pushed quite hard hopeing this would help my fitness to endure the longer ride. Seemed to work for me.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Good luck!

If you've done 35, then you will manage the 50, just keep getting time in the saddle. Hopefully you can get your proper bike soon, so you can spend some time on it before the day. If anything needs adjusting for comfort, you don't want to be finding it on the day of the event :smile:

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
The jump from 35 to 50 miles is nothing, just stay fuelled and ride at a steady pace and you will be fine. Definitely get a few rides in on the new bike, different saddle, you are bound to get sore

OP
OP
NealM

NealM

Hi Guys - Thanks for the positive messages . . Well I picked up the new bike last night (Thurs) but it's been pouring with rain ever since, and as much as I'm itching to give it a go . . I really don't want to take it out in the rain ! ! ! :rain: (Not the first time anyway)..

Weather forecast for the weekend is looking better so will get out then . . Hopefully can manage about 25 - 30 on it the first time . . Although the new saddle (although it's FAR better than my old one); will probably rub in some new places ! !! :laugh:

kedab

Veteran
Padded shorts and chamois cream all over, as you can never tell which of your bits will take the hit :smile:
if it's a 'cooling' chamois cream, try not to get any on your junk and beware over zealous application around your butt crack - you'll be hopping about like a box of frogs for 20 minutes otherwise!

oh and all the very best of luck with the ride, as others have said, you'll cover those miles no probs on the day - if you get the new ride, i''ll bet you'll want to have another go-round when you finish! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom