Workout

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tango_kid

Hey,
looking to build muscles in legs and get more power so that hill climbing and flat out speed goes up. So i was just wondering what the best method for this is, is it in long (for me) rides of 20 or so miles or is it going on an 8 or 10 miler and going for pace and a high average speed???

Similarly for running when training for a race of 2 miles what is the best way to train??

Cheers,
Mike
P.S. thanx to all who have given me advice on this forum i have found it very helpful friendly. So cheers

Dan B

Disengaged member
As a general principle, train by repeatedly doing whatever you want to get better at. If you want to get better at hills, go up more of them: if you want to get faster on the flat, ride fast on the flat.

Garz

Squat Member
To gain stronger muscles maybe mix up riding with some resistance training such as weights or circuits. Dedicate a ride of the week for specific hill work too. I find if you can stand up out of the saddle near the brow of a hill and keep the sprint going for a wee bit it exhausts my legs hardcore enough to get a major pump.

Im sure some others will have other/better advice inputting soon.

To ride at say 25mph -you have to train at 25mph! It's no good doing 30 miles at 20mph and expecting to do 20 miles at 25mph. I'd start with a series of reps over a short distance (say a mile) to build the speed up and then gradually extend the distance.

Get lots of miles under your belt, until youre doing 40-50 mile rides, and then try intervals - sprinting for signposts and whatnot.

For the 2 mile run, at such a short distance, I would just practice that distance over and over until you have the pacing just right.

As with the cycle, if you're reaching a plateau in performance, throw in some 'sprints' (not actually sprinting, but raised pace) followed by slow recovery performance to boost speed.

blazed

220lb+
You need a big surplus of calories firstly you can have muscle tour de france riders have muscle but they are still scrawny little streaks of piss. You should hit the gym and workout full body you dont want big leg muscles and an upper body like Billy Mitchell. Check out muscleandstrength.com or bodybuilding.com and go from there.

montage

God Almighty
Similarly for running when training for a race of 2 miles what is the best way to train??

Just turn up.

tango_kid said:
Hey,
looking to build muscles in legs and get more power so that hill climbing and flat out speed goes up. So i was just wondering what the best method for this is, is it in long (for me) rides of 20 or so miles or is it going on an 8 or 10 miler and going for pace and a high average speed???

I would say that in order to improve on speed/distance you need to do some good training at least 3 times a week. Twice a week will maintain fitness/give you a very slow improvement...so try at least 3 times a week.

Step 1 to building fitness: Build the base. A base fitness is essential, I would say just put in at least 500-700 miles of riding however you like without overdoing it before you start specifically training. Rushing in to training can cause injuries pretty easily, and unless you have a base fitness, if inactive for a period of time then you can loose fitness really quickly.

Step 2 - make sure you rest up and eat correctly.... Basically get your beauty sleep, have at least 1 doctile day a week and cut out the Maccy D's.

I would really work on your base fitness, as unfortunately in cycling terms, 20 miles isn't really too far ..... but still a decent distance to get a good workout, don't get me wrong.

Ok...so now you have put in a fair few miles, you want to get some training under your belt. Fortunately, you obviously do running aswell, which can be abused for cross training - as cycling and running are both hugely dependent on cardiovascular fitness, they will benefit each other.

I would say cycle 3 times a week, try to space these evenly over the week...this can be increased as your fitness increases
Ride 1 - hard interval riding. There are thousands of examples of intervals...ranging from going flat out for a few minutes, with a period of rest in between going flat out again, and simply hitting the hills over and over. If you want to get better at hills.... find a long hill, blast up it, roll down. repeat.

Ride 2 - this is just a recovary ride. Make an effort to keep this slow and relaxed. You should be able to hold a convorsation throughout this ride.

Ride 3 - Distance ride .... most likely to be the most time consuming so best done at the weekends. Join a cycling club, you will be surprised that you can actually knock out a 40-50 miler....but if you have to ride on your own, try and just push your max distance. Aim to go somewhere...i.e. a cafe which is 15 miles away.

To help with the 2 mile run, I would say you just need 1 run a week ontop of that cycling....just to maintain the "running muscles" .... if you are feeling rubbish and you need to do a run, even a 1.5miler will do .... but try and push the run out to around2.5 - 3 miles... and dont worry about working out your pace until nearer the event.

jimboalee

Surprisingly, there are big gains to be made by only riding once a week for three months or so.

The ride MUST be TORTUROUS. Big hills, fast sprints.

You should come to a point where your legs are red hot jelly and you just want to throw the bike in the hedge and weep, IF you've got the energy to lift the bike.

Take three or four days off. Eat lots of meat and fish on top of your basal diet.

After nearly a week, you will feel better and want to get out there again.
If you don't, cycling's NOT your game.

The drawback with this is :-
1/ If you go to school or work, you can't.
2/ Where you 'throw your bike', needs to be near a rail station.
3/ Your trouser legs won't be wide enough after two months of this, so its quite expensive.

montage

God Almighty
jimboalee said:
Surprisingly, there are big gains to be made by only riding once a week for three months or so.

The ride MUST be TORTUROUS. Big hills, fast sprints.

You should come to a point where your legs are red hot jelly and you just want to throw the bike in the hedge and weep, IF you've got the energy to lift the bike.

Take three or four days off. Eat lots of meat and fish on top of your basal diet.

After nearly a week, you will feel better and want to get out there again.
If you don't, cycling's NOT your game.

The drawback with this is :-
1/ If you go to school or work, you can't.
2/ Where you 'throw your bike', needs to be near a rail station.
3/ Your trouser legs won't be wide enough after two months of this, so its quite expensive.

Don't do this. Especially if you have a carbon bike.

smeg

coruskate said:
As a general principle, train by repeatedly doing whatever you want to get better at. If you want to get better at hills, go up more of them: if you want to get faster on the flat, ride fast on the flat.
That's the way I'd approach it, and instead of dropping down into lower gears climbing I'd go into a high gear and stand on the pedals - that's hard work!

OP
OP
T

tango_kid

Well i have just got back from anoter ride- 17.4 miles per hour and 16.4 average speed.
So i'm quite happy with that over the past 3 days i have gone 3 miles further every day and though i am very tired at the end the recovery time is quick and im fine to go for a short 1-3 mile run by the afternoon. So my plan is to put similar distances in mabye increasing a little over the next week and then doing a very long tiring ride before i go away for a week or so.

Does this sound like quite a good plan. I have tryed to fit in all the advice i have been given and make a lan for the next week and will then try to make a plan for the next week and so on.

BTW i'm about 5 foot 5 and weigh roughly 7.5 stones aged 15

cheers,
Mike

jimboalee

tango_kid said:
Well i have just got back from anoter ride- 17.4 miles per hour and 16.4 average speed.
So i'm quite happy with that over the past 3 days i have gone 3 miles further every day and though i am very tired at the end the recovery time is quick and im fine to go for a short 1-3 mile run by the afternoon. So my plan is to put similar distances in mabye increasing a little over the next week and then doing a very long tiring ride before i go away for a week or so.

Does this sound like quite a good plan. I have tryed to fit in all the advice i have been given and make a lan for the next week and will then try to make a plan for the next week and so on.

BTW i'm about 5 foot 5 and weigh roughly 7.5 stones aged 15

cheers,
Mike

Find a longish 10% hill.

If you can ride up it at 12.5 mph, you've a chance of getting somewhere in cycling.

Put the bike on 39 x 17 and GO FOR IT! 70 cadence.

Good luck...

Top Bottom