Workstand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Congrats!
After a few uses you can review it for us :biggrin:

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Expensive piece of kit? Ill probably try to get a lidl one next time round, although Park Tools things always look great :smile:

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I've bought a Lidl one last summer: it's still in the box!
Been using a cheapie amazon one instead :rolleyes:
I've got a similar one from Edinburgh Bicycle Co-Operative, just lifts the rear wheel up. It does the job, but I imagine having the whole bike in the air makes it easier to work on :smile:

potsy

Rambler
I just bought a Park PCS 10 workstand for my bike(s). It's great.Well worth it.
Is this your first workstand Crankarm or just a new one?
Got mine after I'd been cycling for over 2 years, can't believe the difference they make for cleaning/general fettling :thumbsup:

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I've got a similar one from Edinburgh Bicycle Co-Operative, just lifts the rear wheel up. It does the job, but I imagine having the whole bike in the air makes it easier to work on :smile:
Aye, really should unpack the proper stand. One day I will :rolleyes:

OP
OP
Crankarm

Crankarm

Guru
Is this your first workstand Crankarm or just a new one?
Got mine after I'd been cycling for over 2 years, can't believe the difference they make for cleaning/general fettling :thumbsup:

So far so good. It does make some things a lot easier, such as drivetrain maintenance, but others not, like putting the wheels back on as there is no weight on the wheels to hold them in place whilst you try to tighten the QR as the bike is in mid air. I think I'll have to work on this one. I need another hand where previously 2 did just fine. But on balance it is very useful. No more crouching down or balancing the bike on an up turned bucket whilst the rear wheel is off and 15 seconds later it has fallen over onto the chain and rear mech.

The stand it self seems very well made and holds the bike very steadily. You can have your bike in any position you so desire it goes quite high as well for tall people. Easy to get a bike on and off it. Lots of padding in the clamp which is super robust way over engineered by Park, but then the stand will probably out live me.

smokeysmoo

Legendary Member
WOW! I know Park Tools gear is really good, (it has to be for it's main market), heck I even have a few Park tools myself, but as a regular punter it is hard to justify their prices sometimes.

For anyone who can't stretch to the Park workstand but who likes it's design, I've had one of THESE for a few years now. It's never missed a beat and gives me no indication whatsoever that it won't outlast me.

Glad your happy with it though CA, they do make tinkering and fettling so much easier, and I'm with you with the whole back wheel thing :wacko:

Chrisz

Über Member
I "accidentally" got a Park Workstand the other week!!!

I went in to my LBS to get some headset spacers, all done and paid for then asked if they happened to have any workstands (just on the off-chance). While I was talking to one guy the other one ran into the back room and brought out a ready packed Park Tools one. Needless to say I bought it! Lovely :smile:

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
big_800PX_1739773a.jpg

I use these from Decathlon - 6.99. Perfect for displaying bikes. As it lifts back wheel allows work on drivetrain etc.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
- BUT no good for bikes with very fat down tubes, the hook won't fit over them, and it's impossible to open out without damaging the blue plastic cushioning.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I just lock the bike in the turbo without the resistance unit engaged, sit myself down on the floor with a coffee and tinker away! This is possibly like ones 1st track pump purchase where it is an absolute revelation to use one vs a shoot hand pump, but for £120+ I can buy a pair of tubs or something much more exciting than a workstand, so I can not bring myself to do it. I rather make do with the turbo as a workstand and be able to buy nice tubs than the other way round.

GentlyBenevolent

Got one of the lidl stands, but it's for storing, not working on. If you don't bolt it to the wall it'll fall over, so you can't move it outside for cleaning duty. Recently picked up the full workstand from Edinburgh BC for £50, and it's great. Quick release levers for the fold down legs, extending upper tube and the swing-out clamp - you can have it unfolded and ready to go in about half a minute. Recommended, especially at the discount price.

Top Bottom