Workstand

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
The clamp version is a lot better, and you might want to look at the cheap park tools stand on CRC as its a better stand than the decathlon

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
Mine is a clamp one similar to one of the Decathlon ones and the Ribble one. It works well except you may want to know that the clamp is not conducive to securing a bike that does not have a typical triangulated tubular frame, in that the clamp jaw is too small for some bikes with rear suspension.

Another consideration you may want to think about in choosing one, is how easy it is to disassemble and put away, if space is an issue.

Norm

I have one of the second ones you've listed, Ricky, one of [url=http://www.decathlon.co.uk/EN/bike-workstand-53433343/[/URL]]these which I bought from Decathalon last September. It has had frequent use (daily at times once the fettling mood has got to me :biggrin: ) and is showing no signs of wear.

If space is at a premium, it takes but a few seconds to remove the front two legs, making it a very two dimensional shape which will happily lean against a wall. Alternatively, what I do is leave it centred in the garage so the car can park with the two front legs between it's wheels. I can even leave it in that position with a bike on it, as the bonnet / bumper goes under the bike.

If you have an issue with the size of frames, my kids' bikes struggle, for instance, clamp the seat post.[/URL]

Norm

I have one of the second ones you've listed, Ricky, one of these which I bought from Decathalon last September. It has had frequent use (daily at times once the fettling mood has got to me :biggrin: ) and is showing no signs of wear.

If space is at a premium, it takes but a few seconds to remove the front two legs, making it a very two dimensional shape which will happily lean against a wall. Alternatively, what I do is leave it centred in the garage so the car can park with the two front legs between it's wheels. I can even leave it in that position with a bike on it, as the bonnet / bumper goes under the bike.

If you have an issue with the size of frames, my kids' bikes struggle, for instance, clamp the seat post.

OP
OP
R

Ricky Baby

cheer's guys, looks like a trip to decathlon, realised that the first one is no good anyway as i have gear cables that run under my BB!

dodgy

RecordAceFromNew said:
Mine is a clamp one similar to one of the Decathlon ones and the Ribble one. It works well except you may want to know that the clamp is not conducive to securing a bike that does not have a typical triangulated tubular frame, in that the clamp jaw is too small for some bikes with rear suspension.

I think it's generally accepted that you should never clamp the tubes of the frame into a workstand. Always use the seatpost, you can also buy seatpost inserts specifically designed for workstands to clamp on to.

Like this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=13243 (I personally don't use one)
Or this http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=24&item=ISC-4

Frame tubes can be very thin indeed, especially as you move away from the butted sections on joints with other tubes. These tubes aren't designed to take such a strong 'squeezing' force.

PJ79LIZARD

Über Member

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
dodgy said:
I think it's generally accepted that you should never clamp the tubes of the frame into a workstand. Always use the seatpost, you can also buy seatpost inserts specifically designed for workstands to clamp on to.

Like this http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?PartnerID=79&ModelID=13243 (I personally don't use one)
Or this http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=24&item=ISC-4

Frame tubes can be very thin indeed, especially as you move away from the butted sections on joints with other tubes. These tubes aren't designed to take such a strong 'squeezing' force.

IMHO, if one's bike frame can not withstand the "squeeze" of a plastic clamp with rubberised jaws just for the purpose of securing the bike on its own weight, one should seriously question if the frame can possibly be safely relied on to carry somebody on British roads day in day out.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
RecordAceFromNew said:
IMHO, if one's bike frame can not withstand the "squeeze" of a plastic clamp with rubberised jaws just for the purpose of securing the bike on its own weight, one should seriously question if the frame can possibly be safely relied on to carry somebody on British roads day in day out.
There is obviously no way you should clamp carbon tubes in a workstand, but does that make the bike unsafe?.......I suggest not.:tongue:

dodgy

RecordAceFromNew said:

Go and tell Park Tools, they seem to have some expertise in this area. I'm not interested in debating it.

C

chillyuk

Ricky Baby said:
cheer's guys, looks like a trip to decathlon, realised that the first one is no good anyway as i have gear cables that run under my BB!

I have one almost the same as the cheapie one you mention. The bottom bracket doesn't actually "bottom" in the cup, so gear cables are unaffected. I would prefer a conventional stand though, with a conventional clamp, but economics rule:smile:

Top Bottom