World Championships Montreal 2026 ***SPOILERS***

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Lefty tighty. Get it righty.
Longo Borghini appearing at such speed as they were on the final straight was brilliant. I know the camera foreshortens things but I really thought for a while she was going to charge straight past.
 

Domus

Guru
Location
Sunny Radcliffe
Epic night all round, had to leave with 30 Kms to go as I had a ticket to Mahler’s mighty 7th symphony. Resisted checking my phone and got home just before 11 and watched another epic. Exhausted now 😱. Can the men’s race match it?
 
OP
OP
No Ta Doctor

No Ta Doctor

Veteran
Obviously a massive long shot, but Lorenzo Finn is going for back to back to back World titles in Junior, U23 and men's road races. I would love to see it happen if my man Seixas doesn't win.

That would be absolutely insane :laugh:

My Man™ Mads P is struggling a bit with this race. Obviously it's not really a parcours for him

"It is no secret that it is a difficult route, and I am one of the heavy boys. So you have to ride with some economy in the bag. I have to use my head, ride defensively and ride a relatively anonymous bike race." - Mads P

I've now got a mental image of Mads sat there in the peloton with a Homer Simpson brain thought bubble: "Must. Not. Animate. Race..." :laugh:

https://www.domestiquecycling.com/e...-race-pedersen-on-denmarks-plan-for-montreal/
 

Dogtrousers

Lefty tighty. Get it righty.
News on Caroline Andersson
"She has a broken collarbone. It's an open fracture, so she needs surgery later. Otherwise, it seems to have stopped at a small hemorrhage in the hip, but the doctors are keeping an eye on it. She is conscious, talking and can communicate, but is tired from painkillers. Otherwise, everything seems okay under the circumstances," says Alexander Wetterhall in the Swedish team management.
https://swedenherald.com/article/ca...r-mass-crash-at-world-championships-road-race
 
OP
OP
No Ta Doctor

No Ta Doctor

Veteran
So, having seen Jnrs, u23 and women on this course, what do we think the men will do with it?

For me, the closest reference race (other than Montreal itself, which doesn't always attract all the top names) would be LBL. Plenty of climbs, none of them very long, some of them short and steep, and all very frequent. In the races we've seen so far it's been very attritional - but also hard for the peloton to bring back any breaks, at least not without dropping a load of riders and ending up looking more like a small favourites group. The men's peloton might be a little more cohesive and find the climbs a little easier - there's a question there about who can make a big enough difference there, and who can close gaps on descents that I think will make it harder for the men to get away.

I like the balance that it could be an out and out climber but could also be a climby-puncheur that can win. For the men I think it favours punchier riders

Remco is justifiably the big favourite, with Seixas and Del Toro also getting their names thrown in the hat. Pidcock could also be handy.

MvdP, Mads P and Van Aert most likely need something to go wrong for others (Wout especially will be restricted unless Remco goes wrong somehow). They may well find themselves dropping on climbs and closing gaps on the descents and flats when it gets going.

I've a sneaking suspicion that Denmark will get a couple of riders into good results, possibly a medal. I don't think Valgren, Kron, Charmig and Honoré are going to be marked all that hard like Skjelmose would have been, but all are capable of doing something here and suited to the parcours.
 
It's certainly pretty open. I can't see Remco and Wout working for each other, they both desperately want to win.
Then it's who has shown they can last such a long distance.
There are probably 8 or 9 possibilites today.
 
Top Bottom