World Champs 2022 (SPOILERS)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
One has to maintain standards, otherwise road cyclists will end up being dressed like low life triathletes.:okay:

Some kid got DQed for using a 53 instead of a 52 chainring, IIRC.
Stephen Roche, who is a bit of a tit, was one of the chief advocates of the sock length rule.

There was a kid who wasn't allowed to use his normal bike with the 53 - he had to borrow a bike. But he wasn't DQ'd.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Seems the sole purpose of the sock rule is to generate jokes and merriment.

If the athletes feel like ignoring it, as AVV did, then they happily do so. It's irrelevant to them.

There was a kid who wasn't allowed to use his normal bike with the 53 - he had to borrow a bike. But he wasn't DQ'd.
He would probably have been DQ'd if he'd carried on and used the offending equipment. I wonder if anyone suggested that Annemiek borrow someone else's socks. :laugh:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
He would probably have been DQ'd if he'd carried on and used the offending equipment. I wonder if anyone suggested that Annemiek borrow someone else's socks.

They did make her put a regular team jersey over her skin suit though, although its unclear whether that was for "aero" reasons or because it didn't match the rest of her teams standard team kit, I think it was the latter.

A couple of Ukraine U23 ladies (I think) borrowed a couple of bikes from a local cycle club as theirs got lost / held up on the flight in.

Seems the sole purpose of the sock rule is to generate jokes and merriment.

If the athletes feel like ignoring it, as AVV did, then they happily do so. It's irrelevant to them.

He would probably have been DQ'd if he'd carried on and used the offending equipment. I wonder if anyone suggested that Annemiek borrow someone else's socks. :laugh:

True. If his bike had been checked at the end.

Mate of mine was stopped from starting an Ironman because his tri suit apparently had a silicon coating. He swims as well as me - silicon makes zero difference at the back of the pack.
I had to lend him my trisuit to go over the top. Luckily I was wearing another pair of shorts.

Silly rules.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
This is beginning to remind me of games lessons at school. Some poor kid would always turn up having forgotten some item of kit, or even all their kit, and would be forced to wear some stuff that was way too big from the big box of humiliation.

I'm imagining Van Vleuten turning up at the start line with a pair of mismatched scratchy woolen socks round her ankles, looking embarassed.

T4tomo

Legendary Member

Top Bottom