Worn bits - I've had my fun

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rooster1

I was right about that saddle
So my (was new) Jan 2019 Giant Defy Advanced has had a bit of an LBS audit/appraisal after 4500 miles and the following parts need replacing

- Headset > It is oozing orange stuff!
- Front cranks > Worn to **it
- Chain
- Rear casette
But more surprisingly
- Rear derailleur > Has seized up
- Rear disc pad > No meat left
Oh, and the tyres are shot

We're looking at about £300 in parts plus labour.

Crying into my coffee cup.

I have a spare bike or two so I will buy the parts over time and try and do as much myself.

The major question is why did you let it get into that state?
Ride it and throw it in the garage?

Good morning,

It may be worth posting some pics, as headset, cranks and rear mech wouldn't normally by expected to have gone.

I am not quire sure how a rear mech can seize up, gummed up with dirt yes, but a good clean would sort that out.

Chain and pads seem quite reasonable wear and I'm lucky to get 2,000/1,500 (F/R) miles for tyres.

Cassette is possibly, possibly not normal.

I would seriously look at buying the necessary tools as none of the above is complex and most people can do all of the replacements you mention.

The only exception would be changing the headset in the unlikely event that it needs it.

I am not sure which Defy you have but they all seem to be at least 10 speed so you are going to need to get used the short life of the tyres, chains and cassettes, they are not like 5 speed freewheels and 27 1/4 touring tyres. :smile:

Bye

Ian

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

4500 miles seems far to short for chainrings to be screwed, the rest seems plausible, although it is also weird that your rear brake pads have gone before your front.
I replaced the front pads myself last year. I will inspect the front crankset when I have it back today.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

Good morning,

It may be worth posting some pics, as headset, cranks and rear mech wouldn't normally by expected to have gone.

I am not quire sure how a rear mech can seize up, gummed up with dirt yes, but a good clean would sort that out.

Chain and pads seem quite reasonable wear and I'm lucky to get 2,000/1,500 (F/R) miles for tyres.

Cassette is possibly, possibly not normal.

I would seriously look at buying the necessary tools as none of the above is complex and most people can do all of the replacements you mention. Indeed you are going to need to get used the short life of the tyres, chains and cassettes, they are not like 5 speed freewheels and 27 1/4 touring tyres. :smile:

The only exception would be changing the headset in the unlikely event that it needs it.

Bye

Ian
I've yet to retrieve the bike from the LBS. I too am confused about the rear mech and I will be taking a look at it myself. The front cranks are Tiagra 10 speed and I will be checking the wear myself.

It is important to note that everything was running fine until last week until I couldn't change gear. I recently had the cable replaced but I assumed it had failed again (after a month).

I have all the tools and have replaced all the parts listed on other bikes.

thanks

OP
OP
Rooster1

Rooster1

I haven't stuck to a DRY MILES rule with this bike, my pride and joy. I even have a winter bike so no excuse.

What are peoples thoughts on keeping a "dry miles only" bike, especially here in the UK

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Chain rings, pads, chain, cassette all consumables and will wear faster or slower depending upon use and in what conditions. Headset - you probably should have looked at that earlier (re-grease) but it's no biggie.

TBH, I've spend at least that on consumables for my MTB last year. 2 x chain rings - £70, 1 tyre £45, Frame bearings £40, Wheel Bearings £20, Chain £20, Cassette £65, grips £20, new Jockey wheels £20, and that excludes labour.

To be expected if you use it.

The rear mech is probably jockey wheels - can't see how else anything would seize, unless something's broken. Good clean would help.

si_c

Guru
I think the LBS may be over egging the pudding slightly - I'd be very surprised if the cranks are worn after just 5k miles, brake pads, chain and cassette sure.

For the headset - it's likely to be a simple order a replacement set of bearings and drop them in job, failing that you can flush them out with Isopropyl Alcohol and then repack with some grease to extend their life a bit. The rear derailleur likely just needs a very good clean - if you replace all the cables then just take it off the frame and then give it a wash and a good clean, get into the pivots and springs and then relubricate after.

Depending on tyre choice you might be able to get this done yourself for under £100.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I haven't stuck to a DRY MILES rule with this bike, my pride and joy. I even have a winter bike so no excuse.

What are peoples thoughts on keeping a "dry miles only" bike, especially here in the UK
My carbon framed Merida is my "best" bike and doesn't go out in the rain, or on salt/grit infested winter roads. Sadly that means it has only covered 1800 miles in 3 years, but it still looks and rides like new.
I have 4 other bikes to choose from, so it's not an issue. It's really a decision only you can make depending on your bike use, storage availability etc.. PS. Don't allow posters like DJ to wind you up. It's his only way of feeling big. Stick him on ignore like I did yesterday, problem no more! :okay:

D

Deleted member 1258

I've yet to retrieve the bike from the LBS. I too am confused about the rear mech and I will be taking a look at it myself. The front cranks are Tiagra 10 speed and I will be checking the wear myself.

It is important to note that everything was running fine until last week until I couldn't change gear. I recently had the cable replaced but I assumed it had failed again (after a month).

I have all the tools and have replaced all the parts listed on other bikes.

thanks

Tiagra cranks, why are they worn at such a low mileage? the Tiagra cranks on my Eastway are at 15600 and going strong, I replaced the bottom bracket bearings a few years ago.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
Not sure how it's possible to wear cranks - I assume you mean chainrings? They'll wear if used on a worn chain.

Disc pads are just a consumable. Should check regularly and replace.

"Seized" rear derailleur - well, it depends what has seized. Replacing jockey wheels can be expected if chain needs replacement. If other bits have seized, normally can be freed with WD40 and wiggling.

Depending on the use, the list doesn't seem unreasonable to me - certaintly for all weather commuting it could be expected. If it's only used for dry weekend rides, then only if you neglect lubrication.

Top Bottom