Worn out steel frames

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

12boy

Guru
I have heard that after many years even lovely old 531 and Cromo frames become tired and lose whatever mojo they had originally. By mojo I mean whatever lively responsiveness they were made to have. Is this a real deal? I had bought a 73 or so Witcomb Superlight, rode it a lot for a decade or so, and came back to it after another decade riding an AL mtn bike. Seemed fine to me until the headtube began to accordion. I also bought an 82 Holdsworth Special at an estate sale which rides like a dream but I have no idea how many miles the original owner put on it. So, I can't say if this is true or not based on my own experience. Can anyone weigh in on this?

classic33

Leg End Member
What would you count as heavy use?

Sharky

Guru
I had a Mercian track frame which I bought second hand in 1968. Rode and raced as my main bike for about 4 years, then resurrected and rebuilt for time trials in the 90's and carried on using it until about 2005, Always felt the same, but eventually passed it on as it wasn't getting used due to shinier bikes in the garage.

D

Deleted member 1258

I have heard that after many years even lovely old 531 and Cromo frames become tired and lose whatever mojo they had originally. By mojo I mean whatever lively responsiveness they were made to have. Is this a real deal? I had bought a 73 or so Witcomb Superlight, rode it a lot for a decade or so, and came back to it after another decade riding an AL mtn bike. Seemed fine to me until the headtube began to accordion. I also bought an 82 Holdsworth Special at an estate sale which rides like a dream but I have no idea how many miles the original owner put on it. So, I can't say if this is true or not based on my own experience. Can anyone weigh in on this?

I heard this a very long time ago, if I remember right it was told me by a club mate in the days before we had the internet so it goes back a long way, how true it is I've no idea.

Drago

Legendary Member
Due to the ductility characteristics of steel, provided they're not bent beyond their ductile limit or damaged they feel the same on day 1 as they do on day 100,000.

Nope. Unless it's rusted through from the inside, then it might get sloppy. Metals don't tend to change properties with age, otherwise towers/bridges, aircraft etc would all be falling down.

Aluminium does fatigue with age through vibration etc where steel would not. That's why airframe have a lifespan of XXX flight hours between major overhauls where they're microspically examined, and after so many cycles of overhauls they become time expired and have to be scrapped. Steel frame aircraft- hurricanes, spots etc - still have to be maintained, but provided the inner structure isnt damaged, corroded or its ductile limit exceeded will fly for centuries. The alloy skins, however, fare differently, and do require periodic replacement.

Aluminium bike frames can feel dead and lifeless with use and lose their spring fitness jn layman's terms, and is why manufacturers go for max stiffness - it gives a harsh feeling ride but greatly reduces the tendency for the material to behave in this way.

Spring steel is another matter entirely, hence why they're used for, erm, spriny parts and not structural ones.

Last edited:

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I quite like the idea of accordian music while I ride.

Nope. Unless it's rusted through from the inside, then it might get sloppy. Metals don't tend to change properties with age, otherwise towers/bridges, aircraft etc would all be falling down.
Have no reason to think there's a problem with non rusted steel bike frames but your comment is a bit of a generalisation. Ever heard of the Comet plane?

Top Bottom