Worn Rims?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

KneesUp

Guru
I'm currently not riding my old Peugeot, because I took the bottom bracket out and haven't got around to putting one back in - the weather isn't encouraging me to be honest; riding when hopelessly unfit is one thing, but riding when hopelessly unfit when it's cold, dark and wet is something I'm trying to avoid.

Anyway - I've been having a look at the bike the evening, and I've noticed grooves worn into the rim of the front wheel. I think I know the answer to this, but would you suggest that the rim (below) is worn to the point of needing replacement, or is taking it off and measuring the only way to tell? There doesn't seem to be a wear indicator, but it feels rippled when you run your finger over it.

JPEGof2014_02_12_0002.jpg

Run your finger round the rim, if you feel underlations its worn, the extent you'll probably need callipers to determine but its a good start.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
If the rim wall gets too thin it could start cracking, so clean it up well and check for cracks*. Also, sometimes rims can creak if they have cracks, so listen for funny noises while riding.

*If you had access to an engineering workshop then a Dye Penetrant or Fluorescent Penetrant Inspection is the correct way to do this

andrew_s

Legendary Member
A suitable gauge

Modern rims fail at about 0.7 mm, so you replace if you find them showing under 1.0 mm anywhere.
You may wish to err a bit on the cautious side with a rim as old as the Module E. It will doubtless use a different alloy.

The grooves will be where bits of grit or glass got caught in the brake blocks. Factor an estimated groove depth into youe rim wall thickness measurement.

You can also check by taking the tyre up to 160 psi or so with a decent track pump and leaving it overnight. The rim should neither bend outwards at the flange nor break. If it fails, it costs you a tube, and is pretty deafening if you are close.

OP
OP
KneesUp

KneesUp

Guru
Thanks all - I think I'll just get a cheap-o wheel from decathlon or something - the back one is much newer and much less used because it was off my bike (which was stolen) whereas the Mavic is one my dad had made for the Peugeot maybe as long as 30 years ago and which was used for his daily commute in all weathers for 10 years or so - I guess it doesn't owe anyone anything and being a front wheel it will have had the brunt of the braking effort.

I have no idea how or why my dad's old bike has a wheel off my old bike on it by the way - we were living 20 miles apart when mine was stolen and neither of us has any recollection of swapping them. Very peculiar.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Don't wait until your rims start buckling: that's a sign of imminent collapse. I've had this before, when I took too long to replace some rims, but (thankfully) never had an exploding rim :rolleyes:.

Top Bottom