Worried about Frame Size

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrynCP

Über Member
I bought a new bike, a Felt Z85, from a local bike shop. I am almost 6'2" with a 34.5" inside leg (measured to floor).

I was sold the 61cm, here are the size charts courtesy of Wiggle: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/felt-z85-105-2013#tabSizeChart

As they didn't have it in stock, I couldn't try it. They only had a 54. Once it came into shop they adjusted the saddle and that feels OK.

The reach on the hoods feels somewhat stretched, with a minimal bend in my elbows, I also feel like I am falling forward and my thumbs hurt I guess because of the weight? I rode 14 miles yesterday and 18 miles today on it, and I have some sore points on my neck and arms, other than my thumbs I don't experience any discomfort on the bike, I just feel stretched and am more inclined to ride on the tops than hoods.

Will this just taking getting used to, I've been riding a fairly upright hybrid for 6 months? Or is it simply too big. Should bear in mind this is supposed to be a relaxed geometry too.

The more I read about checking size, the more confused I get:

KOPS: My knee is in line with spindle.

Forearm: Place elbow on saddle tip and stretch out fingers. Doing this puts me about half way up the stem, which is just over 2 inches off the handlebars.

Axle: On the hoods, looking down: axle appears about an inch behind (i.e. closer to me) the handlebars. In the drops, looking down: axle is covered by the handlebars.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Don't worry too much about frame size. I have two road bikes of different frame sizes but feel comfortable on both of them with no discomfort. My usual rides are up to 40 miles. I think the saddle height is the most important thing to get right.

D

Deleted member 18052

I would say saddle hight and stem length.

I'm on a PX Pro Carbon small and the standard 100mm stem was too long I was stretched out and uncomfy. I put on an 80mm stem before by bike fit but took the old one with me. Bike fitter agreed the stem length was now perfect. I will keep the 100mm though for when I've lost a bit more weight and if I want to get a bit more aero.

Daz

Not sure if if the Z85 has the same stem arrangement as my Z95
I rdered from Wiggle so I had to set up myself the riding position adjustments
First I flpped the stem so that the built in slope was upward.
THe stem also has a peculiar but ingenious adjustable angle, so that it can further be adjusted,
You can also adjust saddle height and fore/aft position

P.S. I had hybrid too before.

screenman

Legendary Member
That sounds a long stretch to the bars for me, where are you? as there is a guy around these parts doing a bike fit for £45.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I am almost exactly the same height/inseam as you and I would say the size is right. I have bikes with an even bigger frame and they are fine. You could try bringing the bars up a bit or changing the stem for a shorter and/or higher one. It will take a bit of getting used to after a hybrid. You will feel more comfortable riding on the hoods or the top of the bars.

JasonHolder

on youtube. learning to be a gent
Just realised that I told you everything you said in you OP mate! Lol

Take a 56 on a spin. Stretching out will make you want to avoid the bike

Last edited:
6'2" and 34.5" You have very long legs for your height. So your legs want the seattube of 60cm frame and your body wants the toptube of a 58cm. I suspect that a 58 will suit you best. With your non standard proportions you're a prime candidate for a custom frame.

According to Felt's sizing HERE your height puts you as either a 58 or a 61, which one would obviously depend on your other dimensions and of course a decent test ride :whistle:

Felt.png

If you can't exchange the bike and/or explore the custom fit that mickle mentioned then you'll probably need to look at fitting a shorter stem to reduce the reach.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
Thanks all.

Test rides seem mythical in this area. Lucky if the shop even has a range of sizes in stock, never mind built and willing to let you loose on it. Perhaps a northern thing. We also don't have any big chains here, except Halfords.

Perhaps a picture would help? Unfortunate attire as I did this just after running, but the trainers really shouldn't affect reach!?

My back is quite hunched and am not sure reducing the stem by 2cm would fix that?

I shall phone my LBS too but I like to do so with a bit of knowledge - this is no disrespect to them.

Attachments

• BikeFit.png
    BikeFit.png
    52.6 KB · Views: 119

vickster

Legendary Member
It doesn't look overly big, stem looks quite long though, you are quite upright. Is the saddle at the correct height, can't tell when both knees bent. The niggles you describe could simply be down to getting used to a new / road bike?

If you bought it from a local shop, haven't they advised on fit?

OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
The stem on the 61 is 12cm. Looking at the 2012 and 2014 models it looks like they used a 11cm stem on the same model, with the same bars and steerer so not sure why the extra cm. My back looks quite curved there.

Here is another picture with leg on the down stroke. As I said before though, these are running trainers with a lot of cushioning so the bend may look a little larger than it would normally (I'd never cycle in these usually. For now I have been using a thin soled every day trainer, but when I am more comfortable with the bars/levers I will put my clipless pedals on). The LBS said the saddle could probably be a little bit higher but they'd leave for now as I am a beginner. However, wouldn't the higher saddle just cause more curving of the back on the hoods?

The LBS did the saddle, I must say we didn't discuss reach at all.

Attachments

• BikeFit2.png
    BikeFit2.png
    49.1 KB · Views: 99

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You certainly don't have overly long legs for your height as mickle suggests. Every sizing chart I have looked at suggests that a 60 cm is correct. I am 6'1" with a 34" inseam and find all my bikes between 59 and 61 fine with a little adjustment.

OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
You certainly don't have overly long legs for your height as mickle suggests. Every sizing chart I have looked at suggests that a 60 cm is correct. I am 6'1" with a 34" inseam and find all my bikes between 59 and 61 fine with a little adjustment.

Do you think looking at my picture taking 10/20 mm off the stem would be a good idea? Or am I just over thinking this!

Top Bottom