Worried about Frame Size

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
You can purchase a new decent stem for 15 including postage (I'll give you the link if you wish) I really think all you need is a shorter stem to bring you more upright and put more bend in your elbows. Or you could move your hoods higher up the bars, I much prefer them right at the top myself.
Wiggle sell a couple around that price. What is an LBS likely to charge? I am just thinking they would likely be able to try a couple of sizes, say 110 and 100.

vickster

Legendary Member
Get some decent gloves with padding between thumb and forefinger, and relax - you don't need to grip very tight :smile:

vickster

Legendary Member
Wiggle sell a couple around that price. What is an LBS likely to charge? I am just thinking they would likely be able to try a couple of sizes, say 110 and 100.
Go to Evans, they match Wiggle on the same items. Otherwise, an LBS is more likely to charge close to RRP (as they have rather larger overheads and smaller turnover). Or talk nicely to the shop who actually sold you the bike, they may swap FOC

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
Well - I'm no expert but you don't look comfy on that bike!

There's no hard and fast to any of this - it's what works for you.

To me it looks like you should be more stretched out maybe with the saddle further back and possibly slightly higher - you'll just have to play with it to get it right but I don't see a shorter stem as being right for you.

When I got my bike my 'instincts' told me I needed a shorter stem as my thumbs hurt, my hands had pins and needles and I felt too stretched out! Bit like you! My LBS advised a 2cm longer stem and suddenly everything felt comfortable!

Good luck!

OP
OP
B

BrynCP

Über Member
Thanks all.

With the temporary improvement in weather I have got more miles in, 20-30 each time. It's getting better and I have made no adjustments. Most of the aches and pains are short lived, and I guess muscles are still building. For some reason I seem to lock my left elbow more than my right, I think that is just something I need to get out of the habit of and locking arms is something I used to do on the hybrid too.

I am going to go for a 40 if there is a 3 hour gap in the rain over the weekend.

I am shocked how much more effort I put in on this bike over the hybrid. I knew I would go faster, but I am maintaining 16mph over 20-30 miles now, where it was 13 before, and on some flat stretches I am managing 4 or 5 miles at 23mph. I don't compete on Strava but it's interesting to see how where I was somewhere in the last 25% I am now in the top 25%. I can feel this in my heart rate and hopefully I will see it on the scales too!

Top Bottom