Worried about noise on new bike.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sarahale

Über Member
I bought a voodoo hoodoo about a week ago. My mate adjusted all the gears yesterday because it wasn't set up properly.

Today I took it for a flat off rode ride. On easy ground eg paths. it made no noise and was perfect.

On rougher ground where I was clearly having to pedal harder it was making a random clonking/clicking noise when the pedals went round, almost like they were grinding or getting resistance from something inside the bike.

Just wondered if anyone had any ideas. Sorry for the lack of technical terms? I really don't think the noise was coming from the gears sounded more like the bottom bracket area?

Also one more point. The toggle that adjusts the preload isn't moving, so I will have to take it back and see what they say about that. Any ideas what's wrong with that.

Cheers for any help, much appreciated

simon.r

Person
Could be chainslap (the chain hitting the chain stay) if it's only on rough ground?

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
Not that rough sadly. And its a constant noise not every now and then as I think chain slap only happens over big bumps etc

MikeW-71

Veteran
Perhaps the chain wanting to jump up or down a sprocket, if that's what it is, a cable tension adjustment should sort it.

If it's from the BB and the bike is brand new, could be a faulty bearing. Back to the shop.

jnrmczip

Check what gears you are in if you are riding the big ring on front and small ring on back or small front large back sometimes it makes a noise on mine but other than that I'm stuck

goody

Veteran
Chain rubbing on front derailleur. Next time it does it stop and look to see how close the chain is to one side of the derailleur try to use the shifter to give a bit more clearance then carry on if the noise has gone then don't worry about it.

OP
OP
sarahale

sarahale

Über Member
Okay thanks for all the idea, is really helpful. It seems to be happening when I am on big ring front and 6/7 back (out of 9)

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
One day, someone will fall for that, but I'm not holding out much hope, and it probably will be a knackered bike!

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Okay thanks for all the idea, is really helpful. It seems to be happening when I am on big ring front and 6/7 back (out of 9)
As @goody said, it's probably chain rub on the front derailleur. Get your mate to move the High screw out a bit more on the FD so the chain isn't rubbing.

Rubbing noise front dérailleur, clicking/rattle rear dérailleur, clonk/ping chain slap. Can't see it being the BB, could also be a pedal.

Cyclist33

I've got something similar on my new budget MTB.

It isn't chain or cog related as far as I can tell. On a previous bike, same turned out to be the pedals. I have yet to try swapping them.

The creaks happen under pedalling load but also when I bounce on the saddle while not pedalling. Which leads me to think it might be in the bottom bracket and also seat post or possibly one or the other.

Bike is due it's free check up but I actually can't afford the flimsy train fare to Crewe!

Don't expect Halfords to solve your problem if that's where you take it in.

Top Bottom