Worst Day on the Roads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Statistically, the 17th December is the worst day of the year for road accidents (according to our local radio station) gathered from accident data.

Take care folks.

PS I was knocked off on December 18th (4 years ago), so I guess the data is pretty accurate, short days, pre-christmas rushing about.:sad:

The missus did phone me to make sure I got in OK today !!!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I had a marvellous commute in this morning.
3 days off the bike meant for recovered muscles and I wanted to really go for it.
However am still recovering from a shin splint so had to take it easy.

Traffic wasn't too bad.
No rain.. though roads were filthy.

Good stuff.

But there is still this evenings commute to go.

BSRU

A Human Being
I have noticed that the last week before Christmas the amount of car traffic increases dramatically with queues where normally there are no queues. It does seem that people get very frustrated about being stuck in a very slow moving queue to reach a car park so that they can purchase Christmas presents.
At least it is dry and clear today.

paulw1969

Ridley rider
good commute in today....started to try to rain as i left but stopped....roads were wet but not many cars....all in all a good ride in......got to get home yet though and will be EXTRA vigilant now the above stats have been revealed :smile:

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Day off here so no commute today, but about to venture off for a quiet pootle around the Fen in the sunshine, then on down to a pub in a place called Fen Ditton near Cambridge for a jar or two with a pal. My average, I am determined to keep down to under 10mph!

thefollen

Veteran
Spotted a bit of a post-accident gathering just past Vauxhall on the way to Waterloo this morn. Unsure how it transpired but there was a bicycle on the road, a couple of mopeds, a car and a lorry surrounding. No idea who was involved and who were witnesses. Person (think a lady) with a motorcycle helmet sitting on the pavement being helped in some way. Big Police van there also.

Hope everyone was ultimately alright, never nice to see. Strange as I always find that stretch of road quite unproblematic. At the Vauxhall multi-lane junction beforehand... well that can get a bit scary.

Agree that roads become a little crazy around Christmas, definite feeling of mania in some peoples' driving.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Going in was fine but coming home was far worse traffic than normal. Idiots scurrying around to get their Christmas shopping done, etc. I made it home in one piece, so can't complain too much :rolleyes:

HovR

Über Member
Indeed it was the worst day on the roads today, because a farmer seemed to have left the entire contents of his fields over multiple long roads on my commute. :rolleyes:

My bike and kit are completely covered in it! No issues with traffic though, as normal.

Oh, and someone stole my cheap cree light with rechargable batteries. :angry:

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
Today was non eventful. Same as most of my days recently. Managed to reach 28mph on the flat chasing traffic and the van behind dropped back to a safe distance.
I nearly cycled into a van when taking primary at a pinch point and that is about it.

Satistics are never 100% correct so it might be extra bad in the next few days. :cry:

Top Bottom