Worst January for cycling deaths since 2008

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
We have the same legal system in Denmark as they do in Holland and our cycle infrastructure is on par with theirs.

I was not trying to suggest how the UK can improve their lot in relation to cycling. I was just saying what the Dutch did.

But both the Danes and the Dutch had to organise themselves and fight for their rights to get the infrastructure in place that we have today. I don't think you have an organisation in the UK at the moment that could do that.

Sadly here in the UK there just isn't the pressure from the general public to force a change. People are happy to accept 2,000 deaths a year and hundreds of thousands of "accidents" as a normal thing.

Ed Phelan

Simple fact is, as many have said here, is we need a better cycling infrastructure, better dedicated services and cycling lanes would prevent this needless death.

Crankarm

Guru
Simple fact is, as many have said here, is we need a better cycling infrastructure, better dedicated services and cycling lanes would prevent this needless death.

Which is never ever going to happen in the UK. If you want Dutch, Danish, German or indeed French and Belgian cycling infrastructure and tolerance toward cycling then I suggest you move there. As it ain't ever going to be good in the UK. Even with the mega success of Team GB and the Wiggins in theTdF and it coming here last year, the UK is still a cycle hating nation. Cyclists in the UK are seen at best as an inconvenience and worst as a menace to be run off the roads. Period.

OP
OP
andyfraser

andyfraser

Über Member
Nonsense. What we need is fewer instances of people in motor vehicles hurting or killing cyclists.
I'm starting to think that changing driver attitudes is more important than infrastructure. Definitely fix the pot holes and give us road suitable for cycling but there's no need for cycle lanes etc if drivers are being considerate.

My commute isn't particularly bad compared to some. It's the impatient drivers that make things worse. They cut me up and they have to force their way passed. It feels like it's only a matter of time before I'm involved in an accident.

briantrumpet

Legendary Member
Nonsense. What we need is fewer instances of people in motor vehicles hurting or killing cyclists.
Indeed. 'Segregation' (at best), or pavements with bikes painted on (aka 'cycle paths') are generally an excuse to banish cyclists from the roads. In most places they would be totally unnecessary if drivers learnt to share roads with other users.

Cycling is still gaining popularity in the U.K. I've personally seen a big increase in people who "haven't ridden a bike since they were a kid", who really need to get a bit more practice in riding in today's traffic conditions, before they take on road riding, to the extent they are doing. I've also witnessed an increase in some almost psychotic reactions from some road users, to cyclists on "their road". There is a lot more vehicular traffic on the roads compared to (insert number of years) ago. There isn't a corresponding increase in room. It's not that difficult to work out that that leads to increased risk. An issue that is almost peculiar to London, is the increase in 'odd' shaped trucks (tipper trucks, concrete delivery trucks etc) caused by the demand from infrastructure projects and building developments. I saw a cyclist get nailed by a tipper truck, by the courts of justice, last year. That was pretty nasty, I'm fairly sure the truck driver couldn't have seen the cyclist. The cyclist didn't help themselves, by doing what they did either.

There is a lot more vehicular traffic on the roads compared to (insert number of years) ago. There isn't a corresponding increase in room. It's not that difficult to work out that that leads to increased risk.

Emphatically untrue. If it were true, increased cycling rates would lead to an increase in the accident rate, whereas the exact opposite is the case. For instance, a community that doubles it's cycling rate can expect a decline in RTCs of around a third. (Road Traffic Collisons) That's what happened in London, since 2000 the accident rate has halved while cycling rates have doubled.

Emphatically untrue. If it were true, increased cycling rates would lead to an increase in the accident rate, whereas the exact opposite is the case. For instance, a community that doubles it's cycling rate can expect a decline in RTCs of around a third. (Road Traffic Collisons) That's what happened in London, since 2000 the accident rate has halved while cycling rates have doubled.
That's another London centric curiosity. The average speeds of the traffic have slowed, that has (more than) countered the increase in volumes, from a risk point of view.

That's another London centric curiosity. .

Again, untrue:

Studies in many countries have shown consistently that the number of motorists colliding with walkers or cyclists doesn't increase equally with the number of people walking or bicycling. For example, a community that doubles its cycling numbers can expect a one-third drop in the per-cyclist frequency of a crash with a motor vehicle.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/09/080903112034.htm

"It's a virtuous cycle," says Dr Julie Hatfield, an injury expert from UNSW who address a cycling safety seminar in Sydney, Australia, on September 5. "The likelihood that an individual cyclist will be struck by a motorist falls with increasing rate of bicycling in a community. And the safer cycling is perceived to be, the more people are prepared to cycle."

Again, untrue:

Studies in many countries have shown consistently that the number of motorists colliding with walkers or cyclists doesn't increase equally with the number of people walking or bicycling. For example, a community that doubles its cycling numbers can expect a one-third drop in the per-cyclist frequency of a crash with a motor vehicle.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/09/080903112034.htm

"It's a virtuous cycle," says Dr Julie Hatfield, an injury expert from UNSW who address a cycling safety seminar in Sydney, Australia, on September 5. "The likelihood that an individual cyclist will be struck by a motorist falls with increasing rate of bicycling in a community. And the safer cycling is perceived to be, the more people are prepared to cycle."

Okay, whatever, what I see day to day, doesn't fit whatsoever.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Now that it's February does anyone have any updates on the final death toll for January?

Top Bottom