Worst time to get a puncture...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
... is when you've done your back in and bending / crouching is agonising.

Happened to me yesterday and made my back much worse. This morning I had trouble bending enough to put my socks on! I swithered as to whether to ride to work or not but in the end I decided that I would; being on the bike eases the pain somewhat.

Guess what? Got another puncture en-route near Fettes Police HQ, made worse by:

1. The brand new tube I put in firing the valve innards way off into the dark when I was pulling the pump off after getting the tyre back up to riding pressure. Left me with a tube with a hollow metal tube poking out of it...

2. Realising that my other spare tube was still holed as I hadn't patched it at home last night because my back was too sore (I just lay on the sofa with my back against a hot water bottle feeling sorry for myself!).

3. The lampost I was working under going off just when I really needed to see what I was doing.

4. The rain starting just as I was attempting to dry the rubber solution to patch the holed tube.

5. Realising that the fold-down foot on the Road Morph pump has fallen off somewhere since the previous day.

Still, managed it all in the end and then slowly straightened by back up to a standing position so I could wheel the bike back into the road and get on it. Made it the rest of the way without any further incident.

A big raspberry to all of the joggers / cyclists / police who passed me over the course of 25 minutes and never once checked to see if I was OK / needed a hand (despite me hobbling about like a cripple and struggling to stand up after squatting over the wheel as I put the tyre back on the rim). *Harrumph*

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
Sorry goo but the bit about the light going off just made me laugh out loud.
Hope your back's better soon.
Paul

:biggrin:

You now need to go back to the area and check for CCTV cameras. The footage would be priceless...;):biggrin:

(P.S Hope the back improves!)

Them dam polis; they must have left a trap for you ;-)

The worst time IMO to get a p'ture was just before Christmas. It had been my last exam and I went to the pub for a couple and for a change I did limit to a couple :blush: My bike was at Napier Uni; the back roads were treacherous so I lifted my bike up the stairs to Colinton Road, whilst doing so I failed to spot the drawing pin somebody had left for me :rolleyes: Changing a tube at -4 deg isnt that fun. Looking on the bright side it had been over 7000miles since my last pture on that bike I hope its 7000 till the next. Oh an it might be a coincidence but for the last year I'd been carrying a presta spare (the tyres are actually Schrader) and had finally bought a spare shrader tube and a couple of weeks later that happens.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I laugh because i had similar a few weeks ago on the way to night shift in the freeze we had.

Double flat and i have 1 tube so i attempt to repair the other but the glue will not set as its to cold and the pump decides not to fit on the good tyre so i have to phone the mrs who is only 5 miles away and she take 45 minutes to find me, by which time i am pissed of because i have told her exactly where i am am and i am getting the onset of hypothermia.

Today's flat only 2 miles from home by comparison was ok as it was warmer and i decided to walk and change at home rather than muck about :blush:

Top Bottom