Worth checking your forks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I left the bike shop a very happy bunny yesterday after the mechanic set up the front forks on my trekking bike.

They are cheap and cheerful Suntour NCX Lite, but they do have air adjustment.

I tried to follow the sag setting in the instructions when i got the bike 18 months ago, but gave up and just accepted their average performance - there seemed to be plenty of boing in them, so I thought that was that.

The mechanic did them by feel, and his adjustment didn't amount to a lot more than a squirt of silicone spray and putting in 150 psi, with reference to me being, er, a biggish lad.

I'm not for one minute suggesting the forks are high quality, but they now soak up dropped kerbs and shallow potholes in a way they never did before.

Moral of the story is it's well worth doing the job properly, and that cheapish suspension forks can perform quite well.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Talking of checking stuff, make sure your cranks are the same length or allow for any difference when setting saddle height as i just measured mine on the winter hack and they are 5 mm longer even thought the tech specs on the website listed them the same, no wonder the back of my knees has been playing up.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I would have put a £5 on that last bit when I read the OP if I was a betting man.

It's a bet you would now lose because I have purchased a fork pump.

I wasn't going to bother, but when I called in to see the mechanic today to thank him, he told me the pressure would need checking every month or six weeks, particularly as I am running quite high.

He didn't charge me for setting up the forks, but going in there every six weeks for a lend of the pump would have been a bit cheeky.

Plus I can now bore my cycling buddies on the topic and offer to set their forks for them.

screenman

Legendary Member
I am suprised how few people I know that do own a pump for the forks. I check mine about once a month, makes a big difference as you have found out.

screenman

Legendary Member
Quite so, one lives and learns, but in my case not always at the same time.

At my age I think I am living and unlearning.

Top Bottom