Worth doing up ? ( Ridgeback)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I bought this bike about ten years ago and up until last year used it pretty much every day . It was getting a bit tired so I took it to a few bike shops that said " Buy a new bike " So I did , just not from them .
Anyway it has been sitting unloved for a year so this evening ive dragged it out to see what needs doing .
The forks are buggered and the BB is gone according to the bike shops last year . They have a good point .
Actually it would probably be quicker to say the frame isn't snapped :laugh:
Heres the bike ....

002_zps03ee7c4b.jpg

What do I want it for .
There are a few places that I would like to go but cant take my road bikes down . Not heavy duty stuff just not really road bike tracks .
Nipping to the shop without having to worry about it .

Any thoughts ?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You can replace the forks with either rigid or some more cheap suspension ones for less than £100 (OK the are no Rock Shox, but they do the job for pootling). Always worth looking after an old bike.

Strip it down and clean it up.

You always need an MTB in the stable somewhere.

compo

Veteran
If you are going to be leaving it outside shops either get a saddle lock or change the quick release seat post clamp for a nutted one.

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
Do it up and pop over Crane Park, Forty Acres & Donkey Woods.
OK, they aren't exactly tough single track but they make quite a good local spin, or chuck it in the van and go to Swinley Forest.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Or just nut anyone that goes near it :laugh:
I think stripping it down is whats needed . The frame is ok paint wise ( doesn't need a respray )
If I am to replace most of the parts I think I would want it nice but second hand parts is an option . From here rather than something that could be rubbish from fleabay .
I'd want it as a working MTB that could be put through its paces should I find myself faced with a rather steep cobbled road or a tree root pushing up some tarmac :eek:
Im now torn between doing it up sweet for a laugh or turning it into a pub bike . As it stands the tyres are worth more than the bike .

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Do it up and pop over Crane Park, Forty Acres & Donkey Woods.
OK, they aren't exactly tough single track but they make quite a good local spin, or chuck it in the van and go to Swinley Forest.
Crane park was my thinking but trying to explain that to people that don't know the area is tough . Have you been over to the old shunting yard ? Just past crane park and on the way to Hounslow heath . They have just put a path in , I know its going towards the A316 but not sure about the other way .

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
Yes, you can go from the Crematorium all the way through to the shunting yards and on to Donkey Woods right up to the outskirts of Heathrow.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
Oooooo we never went past the tiles when I was younger as we had to be home for tea :shy:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Do it up sufficiently and you can take if off road properly.

Hunt about for bargains. I picked up a new "old stock" Deore LX chainset for £29.99 recently, couldn't even buy a chainring for the old Deore LX chainset that I took off for that price !

Portland2000

Regular
Yup, only reason I didn't try to resurrect my ancient Dawes was awkward dropouts and headset (plus scary weight)

Worked out what I'd havwe to spend to bring back up to spec and it wasn't worth it.

OP
OP
Cuchilo

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
The forks are the first thing to be sorted I think . One shop said be careful riding on them . Problem is , I don't know what i'm looking for to replace them .

Top Bottom