Worth ordering these pedals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Will1985

Über Member
For road riding/racing as you are looking to do (I think?), a single sided, 3 bolt cleat is best such as the Keo.

I wouldn't go anywhere near JE James. Don't trust their stock availability at all.

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
Will1985 said:
For road riding/racing as you are looking to do (I think?), a single sided, 3 bolt cleat is best such as the Keo.

I wouldn't go anywhere near JE James. Don't trust their stock availability at all.

Hmmm damn...JE james is cheap as chips.
Well I think I am nearly at a good enough standard to be competative in the Cat 4 races now - so want to do away with my floppy mtb shoes and spds.

Look Keo > spd sl?

Will1985

Über Member
I'm on Delta so I couldn't comment on those two. Just make sure you get some stiff soled shoes!

I've given JEJ at least 3 chances of doing business, but each time they have come back to me and said that the item wasn't in stock....wasted several days each time.

bonj2

they are a good shop, they will definitely have some look pedals in one of their shops, but they won't know which one, and even if they did, they wouldn't know where in the shop they would be - so their chances of actually locating them are slim. Furthermore, if you rang up the chances of the person you spoke to being asked about some mtb matter 5 seconds after he put the phone down and instantly forgot all about the phone call is the most likely outcome.
They also sometimes have speedplay pedals (which are better imho) in the pedal display cabinet but they don't even advertise them.

bonj2

Will1985 said:

no, that's exactly what you DO have to do - GO there. if you rely on mail order you won' thave much luck. Your best chance of getting something is to either go in there and find what you want and take it to the counter, or ask for something but then supervise the person you've asked until they find it instead of getting distracted by something else :ohmy:

Will1985

Über Member
Maybe for you bonj because you live relatively close to a physical store. I don't doubt the immediacy that an LBS can provide over a website.

For montage or me that option isn't there, so our only interaction with the firm is online. I would be interested to know if their online prices are the same as in-store.

bonj2

yes also a mate of mine who lives in shef has ordered from them and he said it came without problems. I was surprised though.

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
I think I will try and order online, as they are considerably cheaper than anywhere else, though I will heed Will's warnings and back out of any transactions should any bullpoo arise.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Dont get Look Keos!!! I broke 2 sets of them.
I have Shimano SPD-SL peddles that are 105, and Shimano RD75 shoes and they are great. And you can get the shoes on sale at Evans cycles(or they were a couple of weeks ago) and the peddles arent that expensive either.
I much prefere SPD-SL to Look peddles.

OP
OP
montage

montage

God Almighty
Turns out I have put some bids on some Shimano PD-R540 SPD SL Sport Pedals on ebay, fingers crossed!

Paid £60 for new road shoes aswell - would rather pay extra and know they are a good fit than pay around £40 and have a crap fit.

Next thing is to try and ebay me some spd sl cleats :biggrin:

Top Bottom