Worth Way to Forest Way

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
This might be a bit of a long shot, but maybe someone can offer me some advice ..

Mrs-LC and I are planning to take the two Little-LCs (5yo and 8yo) on a mini tour one weekend sometime in May just to give them a bit of an experience of the "adventure". It will most likely involve going along (and back) the Worth Way and Forest Way with a night in a Travel Inn (or similar) in East Grinstead.

The girls will be on their own bikes, though I will most likely end up towing the younger one on a Tail-Gator for some of the way 'cos we'll probably be beyond her range.

All good so far. But I can see from the various maps that there's a mile or so on road between the two Ways in East Grinstead itself. No problem for me or Mrs-LC, of course, and the bigger of the two L-LCs would probably be OK if it's not too busy - she is used to cycling on the lanes near where we live and can cope with the odd car, knows about how to position herself and so on. Of course, I ride a bit behind her and keep an eye, call out instructions and so on.

But, given that the suggested route (from the Sustrans maps on their website) seems to go right through the middle of East Grinstead I'm guessing it's gonna be pretty busy. And, besides, the younger one is in no way ready to cope with town traffic: she's at the "there's a car coming, stop at the side of the road!" stage on the lanes near us 'cos she's still a bit wobbly. Not a problem when there's one car every five minutes, but ...

So all I'm after is suggestions for a good route between the Worth Way and Forest Way or reassurance that I can keep the kids away from the traffic in some way. Alternatively, I could use the Tail-Gator for any on-road bits I guess.

Any advice or words of encouragement will be gratefully received.

andym

Über Member
Hi

Sorry but both these routes were new to me. However if you look at the 1:50K Ordnance Survey map on Multimap (you need to click on the 'OS Map' button), it seems to show most of the two routes following what are presumably old railway cuttings right into the town centre. You then cross a footbridge over the railway line, and then there's a short section through back streets skirting the town centre.

Looks doable to me with appropriate adult 'marshalling'. You might need to ride on the younger one's back wheel.

OP
OP
L

Lazy-Commuter

Cheers Andy. Yeah, it does seem OK. I just worry about pitching up there having had a pleasant amble down the nice disused railway line of whichever of the two routes and then having to deal with a busy town centre!! :tongue:

I suppose if worst comes to it, we can always get off and push for a while.

Edit: I do have access to a copy of the 1:25K OS map for this area so will try to grab a look at that .. I just thought that if someone had on the ground experience it'd be useful to know what I was letting us in for!

andym

Über Member
Lazy-Commuter said:
Edit: I do have access to a copy of the 1:25K OS map for this area so will try to grab a look at that .. I just thought that if someone had on the ground experience it'd be useful to know what I was letting us in for!

Ah wasn't sure about that. Thought I'd pitch in as no one else had responded.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I would think the most difficult bit would be crossing the A22 at Forest Row (unless they have put a bridge in), the crossing is on a bend and many drivers regard the 30 speed limit as advisory. East Grinstead is usually gridlocked so crossing the road is easier...

Having walked the EG to Forest Row section (my parents live a 100m or so from the top end), would say it is a fairly pleasant route.

Never could understand why my parents want to stay there, when they would have a far better quality of life if they moved back north:wacko:

OP
OP
L

Lazy-Commuter

Thanks Hairy. I'll have a closer look at Forest Row when I get my hands on the Explorer OS map.

I know what you're saying .. we're not that near to East Grinstead, but still South East (Kent) having lived here all our lives, and I'd move away were it not for the convenience of all our family around us. Just too busy in and around the towns, like we're a little outpost of London.

Having said that, there are some lovely quiet bits in Kent and Sussex .. you just have to look for them. But, we all like mountains and there ain't too many of those down here. ;)

andym

Über Member
Lazy-Commuter said:
Thanks Hairy. I'll have a closer look at Forest Row when I get my hands on the Explorer OS map.

That's also on multimap as well - you just need to click on enlarge when you're in the OS 50k map.

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
Lazy-Commuter said:

Actually you can see it here , shouldn't be too much of a problem, just take care as some people do come rather fast around that bend...

OP
OP
L

Lazy-Commuter

Thanks chaps. Should be OK .. we're used to crossing on foot a busy (and fast!!) A road just as it comes into our village, about 50 yards after the 30 limit starts which as you can imagine is largely ignored anyway.

There's a big ole wall near the road which has the unfortunate effect of making it hard to see and making the path you're crossing to rather narrow. But it does have the plus point of being rather intimidating for everyone trying to set a PB on their way home and so slows them down a little. :smile:

Top Bottom