Worthwhile upgrade to Mavic Aksium wheels and tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kbrook

Veteran
I want to upgrade my wheels and tyres. Ideally spend less than £400. Am I dreaming and that anything I buy will not really be any improvement in that price range?. I have not had any issues with the Mavic but would like to spend a little money on something that can be swapped to my new bike when I get one ( next year),
I previously looked at Ultegras but was told that was no upgrade on my current set, so I have done some research and am now looking at the Shimano RS 80/81 with Conti GP4000 tyres or alternatively Mavic Ksyrium. Any thought guys would like to get them ordered. Any other wheels, tyres worth a look?

zacklaws

Guru
My experience of Mavics is not good. My Aksiums, I have problems with the spokes twisting and coming loose, especially the front, and my Kysyrium Equipes, the rim on the back wheel starts to crack and the spokes pull out around 2500 miles. As I have a warranty on the Kysyriums, I keep getting them exchanged, I'm now on my fourth back wheel.

But lots of people swear by them, I may be just unlucky.

Stu Plows

Coming soon: Bonking on a hill near you!
Read the title wrong... I thought you wanted to buy a pair of Aksiums!

Do a search on here, there is plenty to read, then wait for your brain to explode. I did so, and have just not bothered for now lol! Been offered some Aksiums, may consider it pretty soon as an upgrade to the Axis 2.0's on mine currently.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ultegra a would be an upgrade to be honest, especially if they fit with the group set. How about some hand builts on Ultegra hubs, would be well within budget and very nice ? Mavic open pro, Mavic cxp33, Ambrosio excel lite or velocity rims !

OP
OP
K

Kbrook

Veteran
Thanks fossyant, don't know much about handbuilts, could you recommend a good supplier? What is the advantage over factory wheels? Would I get some in my price range?

Top Bottom