Worthwhile upgrade...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Liam 68

Regular
Hello
I have an entry level Bianchi (sora groupset level) that's not that old but really enjoy getting so would like to take advantage of Cycle Scheme at work & upgrade...

I was thinking of a Cube Agree GTC Pro (1.4k) carbon with 105 groupset & good wheels (so I've been told).

So my question is - yes it's certainly an upgrade but am I getting a bike that for 1.4 is reasonably similar to my Bianchi or will I really notice the difference...?

thanks...

vickster

Legendary Member
Go test ride and see what you think, no one can really tell you whether you'll notice the difference :smile:. Note, unless your company has a consumer credit licence, the C2W limit is £1k unless the LBS allows you to top up :smile:

OP
OP
Liam 68

Liam 68

Regular
that's a good point...re: testing...!
I think the LBS said that would be ok, to top up...

Big Nick

What are you wanting in the upgrade? Better comfort, lighter weight, tricker components?

You will notice the difference in a lighter bike in effort needed to maintain the same speed and on the hills. I went from a 12kg to a 8kg one and was smashing all my previous bests on Strava segments but without any noticeable extra effort

vickster

Legendary Member
Are you keeping the Bianchi as main commuter, or the Agree taking that role given it's C2W? What Bianchi is it, if the Via Nirone, you'll find the Cube more aggressive geometry wise

You could improve the Bianchi with better wheels, possibly groupset

OP
OP
Liam 68

Liam 68

Regular
Bianchi as the winter bike & the Cube as the main summer sportive & mixing the two for commute...

considered the updates - I may think more on that possibility...

sorry, yes Via Nirone 7 - nice bike for £700 but poss should have paid a bit more & got better spec...the benefits of hindsight...

Peteaud

Veteran
Keep the Bianchi as your winter bike.

Set your £

go sit on , ride, drool over as many other as you can around the price you have set.

If one screams buy me, buy me then go for it.

My summer bike makes me grin every time i ride it, and its a bike i never intended to buy, but when i rode it i had to have it.

Ste pt1

Look at either a giant defy 1 or the cube peloton race both under the £1000 (just) lol for cws they both get excellent reviews in the magazine test

AndyRM

XOXO
Upgrade your Bianchi frame. Mine has taken me racing, touring and commuting. Not purpose built for any of those duties but a great frame which can be set up accordingly.

Apologies if that bungs a spanner in the works.

SteCenturion

I am your Father
Maybe not what you want to hear but..

Bianchi are notoriously overpriced for the level of spec, groupset - finishing kit & frames.

The frames are probably fine but the Via Nirone is no lightweight.

Keep your Bianchi for winter.

Consider, Cube, Canyon, Boardman, Giant, for your next purchase at around £1.4k.

Or spend £1k & save up for some really good, stiff & lightweight wheels.
There are some v.good wheels that will make your purchase lighter & more responsive.
Then transfer the wheels off your new bike & put them on your Bianchi, hey presto, both bikes upgraded.

I won't steer you towards what I would choose, done that too often previously & as stated elsewhere, you need to be happy, so ultimately your decision.

Enjoy your cycling.

Cyclone1

If buying above £1k then you can still do this on C2W, with certain retailers you can pay the difference...

At £1.4k a Dolan L'Etape specified correctly is a step up on the Cube. I bought a Dolan L'Etape with SRAM Rival groupset and Campag Zonda wheels, Schwalbe Utremo tyres and Easton bars for under £1250!!

7.3kgs total weight without the pedals on the largest XL frame!!! It looks stunning and I am still producing Strava PB's and just got my first KOM only two weeks into ownership...,

OP
OP
Liam 68

Liam 68

Regular
cheers for all the replies - I think if Boardman were available under my companies CWS I would probably go for Procarbon, and Rose has the same problem...

I am going to take the Cube for a spin but I'll also take a look at the Dolan... Was thinking about Ribble & Planet-X but keep on hearing good/bad things about those companies...
I am sure buying a house was easier than this...

Ste pt1

In that case if your company will do the cycle scheme get yourself a bike for £1000 cube peloton race ,giant defy 1,a few ribble sand Planet X bikes all for under £1k ;)

Top Bottom