Wot no pedals?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Picked up Mrs A's new Giant TCR on Friday. Superb bit of kit, full carbon and Ultegra groupset. Very pleased she is too, be nice if she could get out to ride it, but snow chains are so heavy!

Anyway, having spent four figures on said machine, the dealer wheeled it out pedal-less. Now yes I know most bikes are sold without pedals, but he bluntly refused to throw in a pair of basic flat jobs. This to a degree took off some of the shine that should have accompanied the deal. Has anyone else had this experience?:biggrin:

hubgearfreak

Über Member
i've just googled it, what an exotic machine:biggrin:

i would have hoped/expected that the bike shop would have put on basic pedals so that you could use it immediately...maybe it's the green eyed monster rearing its ugly head:wacko:

please PM me the name of the shop, it's probably already one i don't ever go to, but it'd be interesting to confirm it.

Keith Oates

Janner
I think the shop not including basic pedals is not so good. If they were going to do that they should have told you when you placed the order and advised on which ones you need so that the bike came complete!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

pzycoman

When I bought my £2700 Trek 5500 (back in the day) it didnt come with pedals either, but they did give me a discount on some lovely shiny look pedals...

caz

Ten days ago I bought a Trek 1.2 WSD (ok, not as exotic as some people's bikes, but at least it's a road bike :blush:) and I think I got a good deal on it. I got over £100 worth of extras and only had to pay £25 for them - including SPD's, computer, mini pump, bottle and cage, 2 x inner tubes oh and er ... mudguards (I don't like the black streak up the back, sorry to disappoint some of you;)). I struck this deal with one bike shop, and although they said they'd got the bike in my size in stock they couldn't actually find it! So on phoning round I found another bike shop in Stratford upon Avon, who had the correct size in stock and they said they would do the same deal! So the next day I was the proud owner of a road bike.

Renard

Don't let this take the shine off. When she is enjoying the bike in years to come it will all be forgotten about and the value of a set of pedals is hardly life changing.

stevenb

Cracking bike....not good with the LBS though.
My LBS asked me about pedals before I bought my bike. I'd already ordered some but their gesture of asking was nice. They even discounted my parts as I was speccing the bike up to my requirements. They were extremely helpful, patient and are even going to offer me a 10% discount on over £200 worth of BMC kit and bottles that Ive just ordered........which Im really chuffed with. :blush:

domtyler

Über Member
Most bike shops would have plenty of those cheap plastic pedals lying around, it wouldn't have cost them a penny to screw a pair on. A very poor show in my view.

stevenb

I agree with Dom. They are known as test pedals......my bike had them fitted so I could ride it around the car park before I took it away.
They should have offered these at least....:blush:
They asked if I wanted them removed...but I kept them and removed them when I got home.
They'll accompany my Trek in its sale.

Pete

I think the big players just can't throw in any sort of freebie, their computers won't allow it and it messes up the stock control or whatever. All I know is, one of the biggest retailers in the business (I hesitate to name it, but it begins with "E" :biggrin:) are reluctant to slap on even so much as a bottle these days. And they still owe me a pair of pedals from several years ago - when I bought a road bike for my son which came with Look pedals, he didn't want to go clipless so I bought a pair of cheap flat pedals at full retail price, to go along with - they should have thrown the 'Look's in the bag seeing as I'd paid for them, but they didn't - I never got around to going back to complain though :blush:.

Now it was a different story in the small LBS in France. When I bought the road bike I use out there, same issue with the pedals (I don't ride clipless) - they changed them over for flat pedals with toeclips at no extra charge! And of course they did the full overhaul of the bike before I took it away. When we went back to get a hybrid for my wife, they agreed to swap the brakes over (on the continent bikes are normally wired front brake to the left, rear brake to the right, and my wife found this confusing). And all this was arranged and worked out, with my French fairly basic, and the bike shop man (and his wife) with only a smattering of English. Chapeau to them!

stevenb

Pete said:
I think the big players just can't throw in any sort of freebie, their computers won't allow it and it messes up the stock control or whatever. All I know is, one of the biggest retailers in the business (I hesitate to name it, but it begins with "E" :biggrin:) are reluctant to slap on even so much as a bottle these days. And they still owe me a pair of pedals from several years ago - when I bought a road bike for my son which came with Look pedals, he didn't want to go clipless so I bought a pair of cheap flat pedals at full retail price, to go along with - they should have thrown the 'Look's in the bag seeing as I'd paid for them, but they didn't - I never got around to going back to complain though :blush:.

Now it was a different story in the small LBS in France. When I bought the road bike I use out there, same issue with the pedals (I don't ride clipless) - they changed them over for flat pedals with toeclips at no extra charge! And of course they did the full overhaul of the bike before I took it away. When we went back to get a hybrid for my wife, they agreed to swap the brakes over (on the continent bikes are normally wired front brake to the left, rear brake to the right, and my wife found this confusing). And all this was arranged and worked out, with my French fairly basic, and the bike shop man (and his wife) with only a smattering of English. Chapeau to them!

I won't be buying a bike from Evans again I dont think. They have a good range...but the aftersales service isn't comparible to a quality LBS such as Phil Corley in MK. :biggrin:

When I bought my Brompton, there was a guy pickin up a rather nice racing bike with a couple of his mates -they were very amused by the bell and reflectors fitted!

They refused to ride with him until they were moved.

Mechanic refused - the bike had to leave the premises with them fitted, but he would lend them the tools to do it outside the shop!

Top Bottom