Would a recumbent be a waste of money for me?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stainboy

Hi, I'm new and touched on this in the welcome thread so will only repeat myself briefly.

I've moved to Norwich to become a mature student, I want to cycle into uni from the edge of the city centre. I know of a recumbent bike for sale for £300 which is a lot of money for a student, especially one paying their tuition fees, and only getting the loan, not the grant. But I've always wanted one since I learnt of their existance a couple of years ago. I have other issues as well apart from the money:

* I'm not used to cycling reguarly, especially in traffic, does the lower sight level make it a lot harder to see what's happening around you?
* Can you carry much on them? I was going to get a town bike and attach panniers, I obviously can't wear a backpack so is there any other room for storage?
*I take it, it must be pretty hard on the legs at first if you're unfit? But can you reach a decent speed eventually?

I think that's it, thanks if you can answer those.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Sight level: You to them, a little. Them to you not at all, and probably the inverse.

I've carried over 70kgs (plus me) for over 100 miles by 'bent. Wasn't pleasant, but low centre of gravity on the mounts mean its not as unstable as you'd think.

Legs: hard at first (as anything). Keep gear low and cadence high until you're used to it. Top speed depends on condition of bike and engine.

If it meets your requirements at a price point you can accept, its good value.

(Before anyone asks, the 100kgs was my panniers (8kgs) plus those of my somewhat overprepared buddy (60kgs) and some tools.

Arch

Married to Night Train
As Arallsopp said.

What sort of bike is it? If it has a rack, then it'll carry pretty much what an upright with a rack will.

As a 'bent triker, I'd say go for it, so much fun! Might take a little while to get used to, but then so comfortable!

BenM

Veteran
Decent speed? oh yes indeed - the wind hardly knows you are there :smile:

Legs take a while to get used to the machine but give it 1k miles and you should be ok - I have done about 5 or 600 miles on mine and can feel the legs being significantly better - they are still improving as well. As other posters have said remember to use a low gear and spin for England; the other thing is that you may find "clipless" pedals/shoes stop your feet falling off the pedals.

Traffic - it is interesting (get a mirror) but quite fun. Cars tend to under estimate my speed these days so I have to be careful to allow braking time.

Load carrying - depends on which 'bent you are going to get - though they can all carry loads I suspect fitting some bags/panniers to some makes/models could be interesting. My Orca can take 'normal' Carridace panniers and a rack top bag at the same time; I wouldn't hesitate to fill them if the need ever arose (and I had the other pannier ;) )

You do get a lot of comment/laughs/whistles etc. from the younger members of the public and occasional "humorous" comment from passing cars - none of which removes the "recumbent grin".

Oh if the seat isn't adjusted right you can get recumbum...

B.

OP
OP
S

stainboy

I had another look at the photos and it does have a rack at the back, infact it looked bigger than I've seen on some bikes. One reason I wanted a lot of storage was that I was thinking of wearing waterproof clothes in the rain (of course ;)) and then taking them off when there. Either that or wear bin bags, I'm not against looking insane making a bin bag suit. With my, er, borrowed Royal Mail jacket from when I worked for them over the top.

The comments/laughs/whistles is all another part of it for me, I like to be eccentric (a show off) :biggrin: I'd probably attach glowsticks to it at night.

I suppose if I found I was struggling for money I could sell it on again and at least I'd have had the experience for a little while :sad:

The seller said I can come have a look/test drive to see if it's for me cos I have never seen one up close so I'm taking them up on that offer.

Thanks for the comments,

Arch

Married to Night Train
the other thing is that you may find "clipless" pedals/shoes stop your feet falling off the pedals.

Pretty important on a bent - you don't want leg suck if a foot slips off....

If you're extrovert, go for it.

You won't be alone in Norwich, I know there are a couple of recumbentists around there, and indeed one of the greatest bicycle designers in the world (upright and recumbent) lives out that way.

With regard to trying it out. If you've never ridden one before, you may find it tricky. The seller may be able to help you (running alongside holding you up, holding the bike while you get both feet up etc), but don't be discouraged if it takes a few goes to get going - the balance is a bit different to an upright at first. Tips I've been given, that work for me, are:

1) to make sure you're getting a good push off with the pedal in the 1 or 2 o'clock position, so that you have time and momentum to get the other foot up
2) to try and bring the other foot up smoothly, rather than snatching it up in a panic
3) as you push off, wiggle the handlebars a little. I don't know why this works, but I think it does. Perhaps it gives you something to concentrate on.

I've ridden a few 'bent bikes, but not enough to be totally confident, and I always find it takes a few false starts before I get going on one. I'm a triker, so I rely on my third wheel, and what fun it is...

byegad

Legendary Member
I'd add to Arch's reply.

Hold the bars with your finger tips as you set off. A 'death grip' and pulling on the bars will do nothing to help you and may well hinder you. All balance on a 'bent bike is from steering input and none is from pulling at the bars.

BenM

Veteran
Regarding the Glo sticks - I have Electro-Luminescent wire all over mine (red along the rack at the rear, green along the boom and white up front) which reminds me I have to adjust some of it cos it doesn't look too good.

The other advantage of a 'bent is that your local herbert isn't likely to nick it for a quick ride home from the pub and, if they do, you will probably find them a short way off in a heap by the side of the road :biggrin:

I will second byegad - don't death grip the steering - nearly every time I have fallen off is down to a reflex death grip during the transition from upwrong to 'bent. Yank back on Above Seat Steering and you fall off and/or twist the handles which is the opposite of what you intend.

By the way, what make/model of 'bent is the one you have your eye on?

B.

OP
OP
S

stainboy

I have no idea :rolleyes: but it looks like this:

5062281163_d104bff4a3.jpg

I'm being purposefully secretive about where it is and if it's advertised anywhere incase there's any local lurkers out to gazump me. I've already asked the sellers if I can have it reserved and am willing to paypal them a deposit. As long as I get on with it I really think I want it. I know I'm a student but I'm an older student and what the 18 year olds are spending this term on booze I can spend on this.

I was thinking about security, there's a big pipe against my building wall I think I could get a lock around and then it can sit nicely between the bins. I thought about covering it up as well. See you don't know if people will try and steal it cos they know what it is or leave it alone cos it looks weird. And I'll apply for locked "parking" at uni if there's any left not cos I'm worried about theft but some idiot fiddilling with it.

BenM

Veteran
That looks like fun - especially with under Seat Steering (USS) . My Orca (26" wheel front and rear) has ASS (Above....). <br class="Apple-interchange-newline">

Expect to fall off when you first try it :smile: if you don't, go easy on the celebrations until you are confident :smile:

Go for it, and have fun.

B.

OP
OP
S

stainboy

Okay, if I get this am I going to get it on the train home? I'm assuming a little country train with the horrible doors that only open from the outside. Even the train from London has doors like that so I don't know what this'll be like.

OP
OP
S

stainboy

10 miles in my state of fitness! :tongue:

I'm willing to give it a go, it should be nice and quiet hopefully, well I have sat nav on my phone so I can pick my roads. I'll have to make sure it's still light out though.

I've got some, I guess baggy flabby skin on my thighs cos I lost a lot of weight, will this help me tone that up? I'm 30, my skin should still stretch back hopefully?

Arch

Married to Night Train
10 miles in my state of fitness! :tongue:

I'm willing to give it a go, it should be nice and quiet hopefully, well I have sat nav on my phone so I can pick my roads. I'll have to make sure it's still light out though.

I've got some, I guess baggy flabby skin on my thighs cos I lost a lot of weight, will this help me tone that up? I'm 30, my skin should still stretch back hopefully?

If your state of fitness is such that you think 10 miles is long way (I think that's what you're saying, yes?), and you were buying an upright, it might be a bit rough - not just for the fitness angle, but on your bum and wrists and shoulders. At least on a recumbent, the only thing to ache will be your legs. Of course, even if you're used to riding the distance on an upright, it'll be different muscles on the 'bent, but take it steady and you ought to be ok. Just make sure you're confident with the handling before you hit the road, especially any busy junction. YOu can always get off and push at such points if you have to.

Actually, on a quiet train, you might be ok with the bike - yeah it's a bit longer, than a normal one, but not so much. If a train has a bike space (and on the local types, it's normally just an area to one side of the corridor, or one end of the carriage), then the bike will probably fit in. Unless you get a very jobworthy guard, you might do it. People braver and more brazen than I have even got trikes on such trains. The only problem might be if it's the sort where you have to hang the bike up, but I think that's only on Cross Country Voyagers.

I think your skin will tone up, yes. Well done on the weight loss!

Top Bottom