Would any seat post clamp do carbon ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm after a new seat post clamp a lbs shop had plenty of stock but they were marked alloy; I wasn't sure if they were suitable for my bike a carbon frame and carbon seatpost, so the kid in the shop is going to ask the manager. Did I do the right thing waiting?

skwerl

I imagine "alloy" means what the clamp's made of. Most clamps are alloy, some are Titanium and I doubt many are steel

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
Thanks for the replies,

I went back to the lbs for the boss's advice but he hadn't appeared but one of the other staff wasn't so sure either as mine's a 31.8mm and they only had 31.4mm. They'll try and bore out the snapped bolt tomorrow, if not they'll order one from Bianchi. Knowing Bianchi can be slow I took the opportunity to look on the web and found the exact one on Probikekit which should hopefully come before the weekend. I liked the Miche system after all it was better the bolt failing than me crushing the seat post :shy:. I feel a bit guilty at over stepping the lbs though :biggrin::blush:.

OP
OP
HLaB

HLaB

Marie Attoinette Fan
It wasn't so identical after all, so I had a wee bit of a mad rush when I left the office at 5:10.

Crisis averted I think. In a mad rush I went to the bike works, they couldn't help, tried the tri centre, it was shut, tried the co op they referred to their mechanics they could help either, tried Velo Ecosse very helpful chap (hadn't seen him before) and he knew what I was on about before I even explained, unfortunately he couldn't help either. Popped by MacDonalds cycles in case the boss (Colin) was in (he's great the staff unfortunately aren't so hot). He tried a couple of other Bianchi's and found an almost identical clamp with my 35.8mm shim it seems a perfect fit. Just chillin out now and watched the Hayles finish, when I can be bothered I'll make tea and carefully tighten the clam with a torque wrench.

Top Bottom