Would anybody know.....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Manonabike

Über Member
Where to get headset bearings 1" like this one

fork24.jpg

I tried 3 local LBS and nobody stock them. I just spent 30 minutes on the internet and I cannot find them either. I was hoping that SJS would have them but I didn't find any.

Surely I'm not the only one with a Reynols 531 and a 1" threaded headset? ;)

tyred

Legendary Member
If it's just the bearing you want to replace, I would rebuild it with loose ball bearings (5/32" IIRC). These are cheap and should be easily available. Thick grease will hold it all in place while you assemble. You will need 25 balls top and bottom.

OP
OP
Manonabike

Manonabike

Über Member
tyred said:
If it's just the bearing you want to replace, I would rebuild it with loose ball bearings (5/32" IIRC). These are cheap and should be easily available. Thick grease will hold it all in place while you assemble. You will need 25 balls top and bottom.

Hi, this is something I did today :smile:

I went to another LBS and the mechanic there said I could use just the balls.... and he sold me a bag with 20 balls as I needed to replace only one bearing.

So I cleaned the surface of the race and cup, I then put a layer of grease followed by all 20 balls and followed by another layer of grease. I forgot to ask how many balls I should use, however, the damaged bearing cage has 20 balls so I figured I would use all 20 balls.

Now, I put everything back and took the bike for a test and it seems to be ok, it probably was smoother when the cage was in good condition, hard to say really.

Should I remove some balls? You said 25 balls but I think you meant 20 for the top and 20 for the bottom. I'm pretty sure I would not be able to fit another 5 ball or if I do it would probably be too crowded.

I had purchased this headset http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300422539466&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT although it's the correct size the bearings are sealed - I'm not sure how that works but I don't fancy having to replace the headset everytime I need new bearings..... perhaps it's possible to brake the seal and end up with a race identical to what I have currently.......

Thanks for the advice!!!

Grasen

fill it up with balls and then remove 2 so the others have room to move
the exact number is not important

tyred

Legendary Member
Manonabike said:
Should I remove some balls? You said 25 balls but I think you meant 20 for the top and 20 for the bottom. I'm pretty sure I would not be able to fit another 5 ball or if I do it would probably be too crowded.

!

I know Raleigh used 25 top and bottom in their headsets and had assumed others did the same. If 20 works, then 20's fine imo.

davidad

The rule of thumb that I've always used (for motorbikes as well in my motorcycling days) is full -1 i.e. put in as many as will fit (which usually leaves a small gap anyway) and then remove one. I don't think the number is critical as long as there's a bit of room for the balls to move around.

Top Bottom