Would it annoy you if a workman was smoking weed whilst doing a job on your house?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kingfisher101

Über Member
To cut a long story short someone at the end of my street is having groundwork done and the workmen were all smoking weed whilst operating heavy diggers/ machinery etc. Would this bother you or not? I'd just sack them off if it was my job. What people do in their own homes is their business but I wouldn't want my job doing by someone who was stoned basically.

dan_bo

How much does it cost to Oldham?
Yeah it would be annoyed. And I used to be an enthusiast. No place for it in the workplace.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
report it to plod . let them sort it out stoned people operating heavy machinery is a short way to injury or death

It is a criminal offence under the Misuse of Drugs Act for any person knowingly to permit the production, supply or use of controlled substances on their premises except in specified circumstances (such as when they have been prescribed by a doctor). The Medicines Act 1968 also controls the sale of drugs that are considered medicine.

Last edited:

iandg

Legendary Member
Yes, it would annoy me. What you do in your spare time is your business but at work no. I would have lost HCPC registration and end of career if I'd have done that.

Last edited:

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Is it a bigger company job, or just a bunch of independent workers? Do you know the people who are using them and if they're aware they're employed stones?

toffee

Guru
To cut a long story short someone at the end of my street is having groundwork done and the workmen were all smoking weed whilst operating heavy diggers/ machinery etc. Would this bother you or not? I'd just sack them off if it was my job. What people do in their own homes is their business but I wouldn't want my job doing by someone who was stoned basically.

This happened a month or so ago outside our house.

A house in the next street was having some work done and 3 of the workmen walk from there to outside our house in their break to smoke weed.

Happened a couple of days running. They would not be allowed back if it was my house they were working on or if they turned up smelling of it.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Yes. They'd be off the job instantly. And I'd be reporting it.

DRM

Guru
They’d be gone, stoned builders on plant = accident waiting to happen, on some forklifts you have to put a code in to start the thing, then you have to do a pre shift machine check, tyres ok horn works hydraulics ok/no oil leaks battery ok/ oil in engine & coolant ok, brakes ok, etc etc, some sites then add are you taking any prescription or non prescription substance that could impair your operation of this truck?
I’ve seen the devastation that someone smoking “just a bit of weed” can cause, these things bite, and when they do people die, it’s that simple

I used to work somewhere where I've guy had a smoke for lunch. There were a few stones there but he was the only one to smoke it for lunch.

One time another guy who smoked in his own time a lot went to join him. He came back wasted. Turns out the guy who's weed they smoked had some exceptionally strong stuff that the guy who joined him couldn't cope with. They were both what you'd call heavy users but one had built up an unusually high tolerance. At that workplace people often dipped outside for a smoke of tobacco but he would have weed in it too. You could not tell if he was high or not because he was always the same.

The company had a policy about alcohol and drugs but they only enforced alcohol once when they sent home an alcoholic employee who was too far gone that day. Weed was kind of ignored. Blind eye to a lot. I guess the only concession made was the weed smokers rarely got put on the industrial bandsaw. Although the drunk did get to use a mechanised fabric saw but his guide have did have a chainmail glove on.

I've worked in places with lax attitudes to drink and drugs. It took a guy driving a company car full of workers into the back of a bus for them to write a policy on it. IMHO it's an instant off the premises situation. Sacked too if they're operating equipment or driving company vehicles. On large construction sites I've heard of routine drink and drugs testing. That was on a large, new build road site in the Republic of Ireland years back. I heard one guy was sacked under that policy.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
During last winter a gardening and landscaping business van drew up across the road as I was getting out of my car. The smell of weed hit me as soon as the driver opened his door and got out. I looked at him. He really glared back as if to say "Do you have a f..k.ng problem"?! He came back 5 minutes later and evil eyed me again. He then jumped in the van and drove off like a madman, as they say. Plenty of aggression and paranoia caused by weed i thought. This idiot smokes weed and drives a big white van...what a ~#@! Ironically the name of the business on the side of the van was 'Green Fingers'.:dry:

Top Bottom