Would it make sense for all of the various cycle organisations to work together?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I have always wondered why Sustrans, Cycling UK and the myriad of other cycle minded organisations don't work together. Agree or disagree? Surely they would have more clout.

Ajax Bay

Guru
These organisations have different aims and priorities. What do you mean by 'work together'?

Milkfloat

An Peanut
They all have different ideas of cycling and cannot even agree amongst themselves. There is no way that the highly paid leaders in these organisation are going to give up their jobs to come together.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
They coordinate with more or less success over time, most recently through the Active Travel Alliance IIRC, but ultimately they have some different(conflicting at times?) aims and structures that deter merging and often they are effectively competing for the same money, whether member subs, donations or grants.

At least they don't work against each other as often as they used to! (I was thinking of the unedifying public spats between CTC and Sustrans over cycleway-building 25 years ago, but you could go back to BC's predecessors facing off with each other and CTT decades before that!)

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
The ultimate goal of them all in one fashion or another is to promote cycling as 'normal' and acceptable as part of travel infrastructure wether you dress up in lycra on the weekend, commute or use it as transport for everything. It seems ridiculous that they are all trying to carve out their own niche to the detriment of other groups and cycling promotion in general.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I'm often astounded at the extent and number of charities and 'foundations' that exist,- all paying high salaries and benefits to their executive officers... as Milkfloat suggests.

Not all paying high salaries. Even some of the smaller entirely voluntary groups seem to massively duplicate effort. But human nature being what it is there is often friction between individuals so they head off to try to do the same thing in the same place from a slightly different perspective.

OP
OP
Oldhippy

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I agree Annedonnelly are they then contributing to the problem? For example, cycling infrastructure where you have the separation from traffic/Good cycle lane on the road arguments. I have been part of meetings where they were discussing grades of tarmac! Get the go ahead and funding first then decide what colour you want it in my opinion.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I agree Annedonnelly are they then contributing to the problem? For example, cycling infrastructure where you have the separation from traffic/Good cycle lane on the road arguments. I have been part of meetings where they were discussing grades of tarmac! Get the go ahead and funding first then decide what colour you want it in my opinion.
Never been much of a fan of 'segregated' cycle paths myself, more emphasis should be made on driver awareness and the 2 metre rule.

snorri

Legendary Member
The ultimate goal of them all in one fashion or another is to promote cycling as 'normal' and acceptable as part of travel infrastructure wether you dress up in lycra on the weekend, commute or use it as transport for everything.
This is just not the case, and that is why they will not and can not all work together.
"Promote cyling as 'normal'" you say, ask around and you will get 101 versions of normal.

Top Bottom