Would it work?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

HeyWayne

Having taken part in the L2B, and managed it up The Beacon, I was chatting to a dude at work, and he suggested that the left hand side of the road be coned off for walkers, and keep the right hand side free for those riding.

He did suggest barriers, but then I said it would be impossible for those that have made an attempt to ride up to get over to the left when they get off the bike.

Would it work do you think?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
You're right about the barriers, as a lot of riders jump off and walk at various stages of the hill.

OP
OP
HeyWayne

HeyWayne

ianrauk said:
You're right about the barriers, as a lot of riders jump off and walk at various stages of the hill.

But cones - with little signs saying "walkers, please keep left" would help surely? I didn't see anywhere that suggested walkers keep left.

Those that were brave enough to at least make an attempt could still get over to the left if/when they find the going to much.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The road is far too narrow and there are far too many cyclists to set up some sort of system imo.

I think a better idea would be for marshals to shout "walkers keep left" at intervals.

How about the ones who walk go on a different day!

Although come to think of it it feels really good cycling past the ones in the £2k kit with the ten bob legs on a Halfords special.
I was amazed at the ones walking up hills still on the edge of London that were no more than one gear change.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Over The Hill said:
I was amazed at the ones walking up hills still on the edge of London that were no more than one gear change.
Loads of people do the LTB who haven't ridden their bikes at all since they did it last year. I say hats off to them. It's a fun ride, not a race or endurance event.

Ben Lovejoy said:
Loads of people do the LTB who haven't ridden their bikes at all since they did it last year. I say hats off to them. It's a fun ride, not a race or endurance event.

I accept your point but am sure it is ill advised to take L2B on with no training - you would be in agony by the end!
If that is all they do all year - one L2B, it is not a great way to relate to cycling.

CopperBrompton

It wouldn't be my choice, but it is theirs, and it's fully in keeping with the spirit of the event.

If you want to ride LTB without loads of slow riders and pedestrians in the way, there are 364 days left to choose from.

OP
OP
HeyWayne

HeyWayne

Ben Lovejoy said:
It wouldn't be my choice, but it is theirs, and it's fully in keeping with the spirit of the event.

If you want to ride LTB without loads of slow riders and pedestrians in the way, there are 364 days left to choose from.

My point was that there are folk out there whose 'spirit of the event' meant a little more than getting off and walking as soon as there was a slight incline (and I mean slight). I was merely meaning that for those that are at least trying - the walkers (with bikes) could have the decency to make it that little bit easier to pass. The organisers close roads off to cars after all to make things easier.

It's not a case of riding L2B without pedestrians or slow riders, it's a case of making it a little easier for those giving it a go - in the spirit of the event.

CopperBrompton

HeyWayne said:
My point was that there are folk out there whose 'spirit of the event' meant a little more than getting off and walking as soon as there was a slight incline
Which is perfectly fine - it's a fun event, designed for people (many of whom are not regular cyclists) to enjoy the day.

ianrauk said:
The road is far too narrow and there are far too many cyclists to set up some sort of system imo.

I think a better idea would be for marshals to shout "walkers keep left" at intervals.
I've never seen the road but I think shouting would be better too. Some weary cyclists are just drawn to obstructions like barriers/ cones it'd just be an accident waiting to happen.

OP
OP
HeyWayne

HeyWayne

Ben Lovejoy said:
Which is perfectly fine - it's a fun event, designed for people (many of whom are not regular cyclists) to enjoy the day.

I appreciate that - but it's an event for everyone (including fixed wheel lunatics) and above all it's a cycling event, a bike ride - so allow those that chose to ride, to ride. Or at least make it easier for them on that little stretch. Having a go at the hill and making it to the top - is very enjoyable indeed. Some folks almost cry with happiness ;).

CopperBrompton

I certainly nearly did :-) Last time was the first time I cycled all the way up. I was overtaken by three pedestrians, mind ...

Top Bottom