Would like your opinion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

arctu

Hello to everyone, I'm currently an owner of a Giant Defy 5 2015 (aluminum) and I'm looking forward for the next's step bike. My budget is around 1250 € max so I'm looking for a used bike. I've found these 3 bikes and I would like your opinion.
1.Cannondale Caad 12 2017(aluminum frame). Groupset: SRam Force 22, Crankset: power meter power2max NG rotor 39/53,pedals: exustar pr200, handlebar: fsa compact, stem:deda zero100 , wheels: fulcrum racing 3.5 2way fit (tubeless ready) saddle: san marco aspide team weight:7.3 kg PRICE:1200€
2. Focus Izalco pro 3 2013 (carbon frame)
Sram Force,50t Sram Red 110BCD, cassette: Sram PG 1071 (11-28), Wheels: Campagnolo Zonda,handlebar: Easton EC70 carbon,stem Ritchey WCS C260, seat post:deda superleggero RS carbon,saddle: selle Italia SLR carbon rails. weight :7kg,
PRICE 1200€
3.BMC SLR 03 2018 (carbon frame)
Groupset: shimano 105 5800, wheels: Campagnolo Zonda ,pedals: 105 R7000, weight: almost 8.4kg
PRICE 1250
All three of them are used bikes,not new!
which one do you suggest? Thank you!!!

Sharky

Guru
Can't comment on those three options, but before you decide, what's wrong or lacking with your current bike? Another option would be to upgrade your current bike with better wheels and tyres.

Good luck with your search.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Buying secondhand really depends on the condition of the bike so get as much information as you can from the seller about maintenance and inspect very well especially for crash damage on carbon frames.
Remember the difference between carbon and aluminium is small. Beyond that just ride them.
As above maybe upgrade your current bike, there's not much wrong with it unless it has many worn components.

Joffey

Big Dosser
Personally for me I would go BMC. Newish carbon frame, nice 105 groupset and it has decent wheels.

The Cannondale is well specced but that 53/39 is a BEAST of a chainset and I would have to change it - far to big for me. Climbing might be a problem with that 39 small ring. Sounds like a racer has had that bike - if you aren't a very strong cyclist maybe give that a swerve.

The Focus is old, nearly 10... I'd steer clear.

Happy shopping!!! :okay:

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
A lot of cash for a (nearly) ten year old bike, in one example at least. I would get those weights verified if that is important to you. Top one is radically different to your Defy - are you planning on changing riding style?

OP
OP
A

arctu

The main problem with my Defy is that it's size is Large for me and I get difficulties in fitting. Beside that it's geometry is endurance and it's weight near 11 kg. I would like to go for a racier geometry and to save some kgs.The Focus seems to be the best equipped but it's age holding me back.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The Caad12 is a very good frame, but it's expensive, although the power meter will add a chunk. As others have said 53x39 is for us silly old fools who have vintage bikes that won't go lower than a 39x26, and they are hard work up steep hills. That said, you could sell the power meter crankset for a tidy sum, and buy a compact chainset.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Spec alone the Izalco wins easy. Depends on condition, as above - especially with being practically vintage (at 9 years)*
RE - misfit of the Defy - I ride a Medium Defy and an Medium Propel - amongst other things :whistle: What are your key dimensions?

*tongue in cheek

OP
OP
A

arctu

Age shouldn't be a disadvantage if the bike has been maintained well and looked after.

I agree with you but so far I've seen them in photos. Absolutely I'll check them and try them but I'm not sure if I manage to find out any hidden problems! Beside that I'll have to travel a bit (another city from which I live) to see them up close so I try to exclude some of my list just by the specs or something else! And I don't know if I have to rely on seller's words about maintenance or bike's history. In those photos by the way they look pretty good!!!

OP
OP
A

arctu

Is it possible to change only the 39 gear with a smaller one and keep the remaining power meter as I would love to have it?

Sharky

Guru
Frame sizes can vary by brand. Measure your current bike for the relative positions for the three contact points. Saddle, bars, pedals etc.. Measure to the different hand positions on the bars.

When viewing, use a tape measure or better still a wooden metre ruler. It will make the seller think that you are an expert (I'm sure you are) and if you want to barter, will put you in a stronger position. Also take a luggage weighing device to check weight of bike.

Good luck

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Is it possible to change only the 39 gear with a smaller one and keep the remaining power meter as I would love to have it?
It might be, I don't know - depends on the BCD of the crankset I'd guess, but ...

TBH my approach would be only to buy things that are really what I want, rather than buying with a plan to fiddle with it immediately (if you see what I mean). Personally I'd just scratch that from the list, and be patient. Keep on looking.

Top Bottom