Would lowering handlebars make it easier to look back?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've got the bike eye mirror and think its great.

You can keep an eye on whats happening and if you need a better look, simply stop pedalling with your right leg at 3 o clock. The only slight issue is it attaches with cable ties and is rather sensitive to being moved.

I keep a check on whats behind me by turning my head and at junctions etc, but I don't want to do this ALL the time. Like most people, I can't hear a thing at 20mph.

Mirrors are dissed by people who haven't tried them. Why people who don't need something have a view on why others shouldn't need them either is lost on me.

tyred

Legendary Member
I don't use a mirror and never have. I live in the country and cycle on quiet roads and through small villages and don't feel the need but if I had to cycle through a busy town, I would definitely give one a try.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
HF2300 said:
Mikey, you tried one of these things?

...And aren't you too used to seeing between your legs on the 'bent anyway! ;)

LOLOL! I have actually tried one on the wrongster. It worked well, except for commuting because then my v. large Carradice saddlebag obscured the view. It'd be fine with rack and panniers though.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
To respond directly to the OP, I think the answer is no - quite the contrary in fact. The more weight you load forward onto your arms (which lowering the bars will tend to do) the more likely a glance back is to induce a wobble.

I also have my doubts about mirrors - tho' if your problems persist, I'd certainly consider them as an option. But if I were you I think I'd give it a little more time before heading down that route. As someone suggested, perhaps try practising somewhere really quiet and safe - a park, perhaps? And you could perhaps try consciously shifting your weight back off your arms and onto the saddle before twisting...I have a feeling that might improve matters, tho' it's hard to put myself in your position, trying to analyse something that's become so totally instinctive.

Like I say tho', give it a little time. And practise. If it's still not working for you after a few hundred more miles, perhaps a mirror would be the answer. Good luck!

I agree with what Swee'pea99 said. Just keep cycling and keep practicing. Your bike handling and balance will improve.

It's much better to get used to seeing all around you then rely on a mirror. I've used a mirror in the past and I'm wasn't much fussed about it.

briank

It's possible of course to duck you heaad and look under you armpit of course, but only if your torso's closr to horizontal already.
As others have said, I'd also practise on a quiet stretch of road. Hold a steady line about 3 ft form the kerb/verge (verge is better!) and see how much you deviate from your line when you look over your right shoulder. Then try steering slightly to your left as you twist your body to your right to look over you shoulder. You should be able to find a way of doinng it that allows you to carry on in a straight line, and, with practise, that's how you'll begin to do it automatically.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Better still go in a park/parking lot with LOADS of space if you're nervous. The more room you have to swerve and not hit anything, the less you'll be worried about doing so and the less likely you are to swerve.

Empty parking lots are good, you can use the lines to check how straight your riding is.

briank

Yes, good idea. Painted lines are handy, and even if you don't swerve around much you need lots of room to be confident you won't need it.
(That's probably, literally, meaningless, but you get my drift.;))

jack the lad

Often on bikes with adjustable handlebar brackets they are set quite upright from the shop. While sitting upright makes it esier to turn your head to look over your shoulder the steep angle of the bracket means the steering is sensitive. The common name these days for the handlebar bracket is 'stem' and the further it projects forward, all other things being equal, the more stable the steering is. It takes more effort to turn it, so in effect it makes the steering more self-centring. You could try dropping the angle of your adjustable thingy so that it is more horizontal (which is when it would be longest). Only do it a bit a time to see if you can find a better compromise than it is now. Make sure that you tighten it up really tight each time. You might also need to rotate the bars back to the right angle or it could end up a bit funny.

The other thing to do is to relax your grip on the bars. You don't need a vulcan death grip to steer the thing and if you are more relaxed your hands are less likely to move when you turn your head.

PrettyboyTim

I find if I'm looking over my right shoulder that it helps to drop my left shoulder and bend my left arm as I do it. Either that or sit further up with only my left hand on the handlebars as I do it.

In both cases the trick is to allow you to twist your shoulders without twisting your handlebars at the same time, and if you're able to twist your shoulders, your neck has less of the twisting to do.

OP
OP
Kizibu

Kizibu

jack the lad said:
The other thing to do is to relax your grip on the bars. You don't need a vulcan death grip to steer the thing and if you are more relaxed your hands are less likely to move when you turn your head.

Thanks again for all this advice. I am practising - I do it on the cycle racing track I use (not when they're racing....). It seems worse at speed but I guess that's mostly because a small deviation has a greater effect.

I know what you mean about relaxing the grip. When I was 14 I learned to fly a glider in dual control trainer with the instructor in the rear cockpit. Every little jink and flutter of the aircraft made me correct...and usually over correct on the controls. The instructor made me take my hands off the control stick and reach back over my head. He then reached forwards and grabbed my hands so neither of us was flying the thing. It tilted a bit and tipped forward but it was in trim and balanced so it recovered itself and flew more or less straight and level (or in a gradual downward guide that is inevitable in a heavier than air machine unless you are actually climbing in thermals). I was then told to hold the stick between finger and thumb only...not with an iron fist. The next day I flew solo. So I know what you mean about relaxing the grip. But I don't think I do grip the handlebars hard - its quite hard to do so with 3 fingers resting on the brake levers which is my normal hand position I think. My thumb hooks underneath the bar and only my index finger actually grips the top.

I'm relieved to hear someone say they can't hear anything at 20mph. I am deaf and wear hearing aids, the microphones of which face forwards. All I hear is wind rushing once I'm moving at any speed. So getting the hang of looking back is pretty important I feel.

redjedi

Über Member
I don't use mirrors but even if I did a good look over your shoulder is invaluable when cycling in traffic, as it tends to get other road user's attentions.

There's a left hand bend in a road I use daily, and the normal line of motorists is to try and cut as much of the corner as possible (the racing line). After nearly getting crushed a couple of times, I found that a very clear and sometimes exagerated look over my shoulder stops vehicles from passing while going around the bend, this also gives me room to move into a primary position.
This also works when you don't want to someone to overtake you e.g. you passing a row of parked cars.

Perhaps you could practise cycling with one hand, then try looking over your shoulder. This gives you a good view and and a very noticable signal to people behind that you "may" be about to do something.

OP
OP
Kizibu

Kizibu

redjedi said:
Perhaps you could practise cycling with one hand, then try looking over your shoulder. This gives you a good view and and a very noticable signal to people behind that you "may" be about to do something.

Become a sort of engima on wheels you mean - Mr Blatantly Unpredictable. Mmm has an appeal to it. Perhaps a barmy hat would also give off the same sort of "this idiot is capable of anything" danger signals. I'll try one-handed to see if it produces less wobble than two...but it seems counter intuitive (polite for a crazy idea) at first sight.

Top Bottom