Would one of these bikes be good for riding around the city and occasionally rural areas?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AndyRM

XOXO
You really don't need suspension, which at that price will be heavy and pretty much useless.

If Halford's is your go to, I'd consider this:

https://www.halfords.com/bikes/hybr...ns-hybrid-bike---18in-21in-frames-626581.html

In your other thread, you wrote that you wanted the bike for
casual riding in the city and sometimes parks(I don't actually need one for rough surfaces)

but you are posting pics of mtbs with knobblies and big tyres ... no, go for one of the hybrid or trekking types recommended by @AndyRM.

You are only making work and discomfort for yourself if you ride MTBs like that in the city and round parks. (Well, you'd be making even more work for yourself and probably the A&E department too, if you rode them on serious MTB terrain but ...)

Seriously, I ride my 20" wheel folder with its 'city' tyres for miles along much rougher paths than you get in parks (ie along my local canal towpath which gets seriously muddy in wet weather, rough and furrowed in dry weather and grassy all year round, apart from shortish improved stretches which are hard and stony or finely-crushed stone and eminently-skiddable/slippable, or even shorter ones which are tarmac or flagged.
Now, I am an old lady and I am not suggesting that you buy a 20" wheel folder - but the best choice for you and the riding you want to do will definitely not be either a 20" wheel folder and nor will it be an MTB-SO!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Forget the mountain bike and go for a hybrid type as suggested above. Be aware that Apollo are Halfords in house ultra budget brand so components won't be wonderful quality but should serve you well for a while.
Tyres particularly will have poor puncture resistance.

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran
Presume you meant rigid

Correct!🤣🤣🤣

postman

Legendary Member
Sister in law has just purchased from Evans a Pinnacle 1 lithium bike on offer £300 .Take a look.For bimbling and shopping around York.

In addition to avoiding the unnecessary suspension fork, I'd also avoid anything with Revoshisfters for changing gear. They're mushy, can be hard to get along with and just generally a bit crap. Trigger shifters are a much better option.

That Pinnacle @postman linked above does look a bit of a bargain if you want to eliminate the hassle/risk of buying second-hand.:okay:

Top Bottom