Would this really work ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Why's it illegal, fair game IMO.

Bristol Dave

No it wouldn't really work. I don't know of any fishing line that would be 'invisible' enough and have a high enough breaking strain to be suitable. Also it would be the work of a moment to gnaw through it if you didn't have a cutting edge. The best you could hope for is a few bruises on the thief but you are still walking home!

BD

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
I once read of a police sting to catch a bike theif. It involved removing a chain link and replacing it with string. As soon as any pressure was put on the pedals down they went.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
Bristol Dave said:
No it wouldn't really work. I don't know of any fishing line that would be 'invisible' enough and have a high enough breaking strain to be suitable. Also it would be the work of a moment to gnaw through it if you didn't have a cutting edge. The best you could hope for is a few bruises on the thief but you are still walking home!

BD
It would work at night. Especially on the drunk removing your bike to ride home after spending his taxi fare. Though how he would get through the lock in the first place.
I haven't thought this through fully yet have I:blush:.
But still at night it would.

battered

Guru
So the thief can cut the lock but not the nylon line. That's going to work. Oh, but now I have your attention come and have a look at my insurance company website!

Maybe the fishing line should be rigged to both triggers of a shot gun facing the bike, I reckon that would do the trick.Their very unlikely to do it again ! :biggrin:

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I think it would work ... in part... a thief isn't going to be looking at bits of wire near the bike... they wouldn't notice it - they are just looking at the lock and checking they aren't observed. As to whether the wire would work - I expect it would break but it would probably check their speed and might then get tangled up in the mech causing an accident.

I've thought of similar things for locking the bikes up when we are away for a couple of weeks. I go for the multiple lock every bike to each other and the lawn mower, so they don't fit through the shed door.

Didn't any of you ever use black thread strung around to trip people up when you were a kid:blush:

classic33

Leg End Member
Bristol Dave said:

BD

Not quite a fishing line, nor invisible, but it does have the required strength.
http://www.americanfishingwire.com/49strand.asp

Downside to the "advert" is that the gate on the krab has been left opened & it also pulls against the object its fastened round. Which could release it.
As to why its illegal to protect your own property, I don't know.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
sellotape a small rod into the spokes by the front hub. one revolution and "over they go".

would ruin your front wheel, and possibly forks, but the thought that they got some punishment would help to offset that.

I now see the floor in my master plan ! Being the most forgetful bloke on planet earth I'll cancel the idea of the shot gun and stick with my current security personnel ( a number of large and angry dogs :becool:)

Top Bottom