Would two bike locks be safe?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Biker2772

Hi, I was wondering if it would be a good idea if i was to get a kryptonite new york standard lock to lock the front wheel with the frame as I will get a swytch conversion kit which has a electric front wheel and a semi decent lock to lock up the rear wheel and frame.

Please share your thoughts on this.

Thanks

Buy the combo that includes the cable. The Kryptonite locks rear wheel to frame and the cable to the front wheel.

1626667047245.png

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Hi, I was wondering if it would be a good idea if i was to get a kryptonite new york standard lock to lock the front wheel with the frame as I will get a swytch conversion kit which has a electric front wheel and a semi decent lock to lock up the rear wheel and frame.

Please share your thoughts on this.

Thanks
Defo put your best lock through the front wheel, frame and whatever solid thing you are locking to, as the front wheel swytch motor will be attractive to thieves, although they will need the controller bits and cabling for it to sellable

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
If anything, because you have a switch motor in the front wheel which is worth a fair bit of dough. I would take the front wheel with you if you can.

OP
OP
B

Biker2772

Only leave in high traffic areas if you can. If a high risk area for any length of time, 2 D locks front and rear, secure saddle with cable.
https://www.merlincycles.com/abus-ultimate-420-cable-d-bike-lock-179354.html this is gold rated (unlike the above orange Kryptonite iirc, I have one) and comes in 2 sizes,
plus away from home insurance of course. What’s the value of the bike, most policies over up to a grand or so

I'm just planning to leave the bike locked up for 5 minutes for bike deliveries

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm just planning to leave the bike locked up for 5 minutes for bike deliveries
Just lock the front wheel to a stand with a d lock, and rear with a cable then. Whereabouts is this going to be? London, another city?

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
You can usually lock the frame, back wheel and front wheel to a bike stand with a single D lock. Obviously, to do that you need to take off the front wheel. The fuller the D lock is with bits of bike, the better.

alicat

Legendary Member
I wouldn't overly stress for five minutes in Birmingham especially when the front wheel isn't quick release. A d-lock round the frame and a Sheffield stand would do it for me.

Top Bottom