Would upgrading my brakes help?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Binka

Über Member
I've got a specialized Tricross and have been riding it so far mainly on the flat.

I've now started commuting to work and there is a really steep but short hill that I go down and I'm really struggling. I go really slow the whole way down the hill but struggle to stop the bike. I do get major bike judder when the brakes on firmly. I'm braking firmly but not harshly, trying to do it gradually to minimise the judder. I know if I had any speed at all there's no way I'd stop at the bottom.

I'm thinking of doing Way Of The Roses soon and am worried about the hills.

How would I go about upgrading the brakes? Is it as simple as better brake pads?

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
Just had a look at spesh's site. I'm assuming you have the cantilever model. There was a thread somewhere about upgrading low spec canti's, a pretty cheap fix IIRC. If I find it I'll post a link.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Tektro 520s are perfectly decent brakes, so it's more likely to be a pad/set up issue.

How tight are the brakes at the moment? Are you able to pull them all the way back to the bars? If so then the cable needs tightening.
If you want to start changing things, then I would suggest trying some clarks 3-colour pads like these* - http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=55821 and making sure that the brakes are adjusted correctly would be a good place to start.

*I have these on my tourer with Tektro Oryx brakes and I'm happy enough with them even when loaded.

Top Bottom