Would you buy this?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milzy

Guru
There’s a near perfect Boardman SLR for sale but this chip looks dodgy.
what would you do?
if just paint it can be touched up but if it’s had a bash this is a weak point.
who does carbon frame repairs anyway?

Attachments

• 3E184C4E-9DCC-422F-A5DF-2D54216B26FA.png
    3E184C4E-9DCC-422F-A5DF-2D54216B26FA.png
    99.7 KB · Views: 16

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You do pick 'em Milsy! Poor photo so it's difficult to see so can't tell if it's just in the finish or a bit deeper. If in doubt leave well alone would be my advice.

It looks as if it has had a bash rather than just a paint chip, but it may not be in a stress point at the end of the dropout. (or it may be, but I am not an engineer)

I have bought a carbon bike with a deep chip on the frame off eBay but it was only £400 for a two year old bike that cost £2k+ new, and there's been no trouble in the 18 months I've had it. Tbh the components on the bike would have been worth the £400 if it had turned out to be a dud and would have gone another frame.

At around £790 I might not have been so brave.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
It’s those two white lines.

Attachments

• 4CE0A78A-2757-403B-B1DC-0841EAFF1C2C.png
    4CE0A78A-2757-403B-B1DC-0841EAFF1C2C.png
    99.7 KB · Views: 14
Honest answer, no, it maybe a good deal but you will get no warranty and it may end up an expensive piece of carbon if it is indeed cracked and as it is near the dropout it unlikely to be repairable.

Do you know the reason for sale?

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Honest answer, no, it maybe a good deal but you will get no warranty and it may end up an expensive piece of carbon if it is indeed cracked and as it is near the dropout it unlikely to be repairable.

Do you know the reason for sale?
Not sure but I’m guessing he can’t be bothered cycling. He is a bit of a meat head.

Looks nice but bar tape with the misaligned logo’s would annoy the life out of me as would the thumb trigger offered by Campagnolo; personal preference is a long lever.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Looks nice but bar tape with the misaligned logo’s would annoy the life out of me as would the thumb trigger offered by Campagnolo; personal preference is a long lever.
Don’t like the thumb idea either. Could put Ultegra on it.

Drago

Legendary Member
With so many clean, undamaged examples for sale I wouldn't consider a damaged one.

Indeed, I paid over 300 sheets less than the sale price for mine and it's unmarked.

Top Bottom