Would you cycle near this Biker?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peloquin

User1314 said:
"...skidded on diesel and crashed a Harley-Davidson at 30mph on the slip road to the Blackwall Tunnel in London."

omg I lolled hard at this one !
>_< (**loves Harleys rly...)

spindrift

That's Erin Baker.

Erin Baker is a reckless, dishonest cyclist-hating idiot.

She has at best a tenuous grasp on the realities of road safety and misrepresents the reality.

She tells blatant lies about cyclists and claims that cycling is more dangerous than motorbiking.

She's carried on a petty, vindictive and dishonest camapign against cyclists for years.

Ignore her, I think she lost a previous boyfrriend to a cyclist or summat.

spindrift

The worst offenders though, by such a long way it's laughable, are
cyclists. They are, for the most part dangerous, irresponsible
road-users who nonetheless take the moral high ground at all times
because they're not polluting the atmosphere.

Time and time again, I see cyclists use cars to push off against when
squeezing through gaps in the traffic that aren't there.

Last night, I saw one push off a car with his foot, and when the
passenger leant out of the window to ask him not to do it, he stuck two
fingers up and said cars should get off the roads.

Every night, I see cyclists without reflective clothing speeding up the
inside of my lane and coming to rest in front of me at the lights. When
I pull away, I have to wait for them to set off, check my right wing
mirror, signal right and wait for a passing car to let me pull out and
round the cyclist before I can go back into my lane.

If I pulled up in front of a cyclist in my car at lights, even though
he/she was there before me, then stopped, thus forcing him or her to
pull out and go round me when the lights changed, the cyclist would
give me untold grief.
But because I'm in a polluting vehicle, I must be apologetic and do
everything I can to assist the cyclist. Forget it.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/erin_baker/blog/2006/11/03/world_war_three_on_the_road

The Telegraph have deleted that page and the comments to conceal Baker's contemptible prejudice.

LLB

What I can't understand is why all the Guardianista's read the Telegraph, and all the Torygraph readers read the Guardian :wacko:

spindrift

Either the Torygraph have a limited memory on their site or they've deleted the more disgusting of Baker's remarkable ignorance, the link no longer works.

Gutter journalism at its worst.

domtyler

Über Member
Ah the great Ms Baker, where would we be without her?

I offered to take her out cycling once but she declined my kind offer quite snifily!

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
spindrift said:
She has a fair point in that. No argument from me.

Just to add, I had no prior knowledge of this woman, nor do I have any other experience of reading her ramblings.

spindrift

Sh4rkyBloke said:
She has a fair point in that. No argument from me.

Just to add, I had no prior knowledge of this woman, nor do I have any other experience of reading her ramblings.

Highly implausibly , unverified and almost certainly untrue story she's suddenly "remembered" in order to justify her wild allegation that "most" cyclists are a danger to other people.

The cyclist "whizzed" past but she had time to notice what he looked like and hear the abuse?

Come off it love, get on your bike and stop being a silly cow.

LLB

peloquin said:
omg I lolled hard at this one !
>_< (**loves Harleys rly...)

Crashing on Diesel is nothing to joke about.

I support an organisation which is campaigning to reduce this danger on the roads, and am joining a run (on motorcycles) which we are doing next month from the Ace cafe to 10 Downing St. For the first time i 5 years of campaigning, they are being joined by a group of London cyclists who lost a friend in a diesel spill accident. It can happen to anyone :wacko:

spindrift

Last night, I saw one push off a car with his foot, and when the
passenger leant out of the window to ask him not to do it, he stuck two
fingers up and said cars should get off the roads

Every time you tell a lie Erin, a fairy dies.

Who the flip believes this tosh?

spindrift

Take this for example:

Second, I realise that the more people get out of their cars and onto their bicycles, the greater the benefit to us all in terms of the future of our planet, but I'm afraid I'm not going to take up your suggestion of cycling in London on account of having already increased my risk of significant injury through choosing to ride a motorbike, and not wishing to double it.

So, Erin denies having an antipathy toward cyclists, then hysterically and dishonestly exaggerates the dangers.

Spinners... even amongst my friends – and we're all highly intelligent - they're totally divided on the issue of Erin Baker. Totally divided. Some of my friends think Erin is just an annoying idiot. While other of my friends think she’s is an evil f**k. How are we gonna have a consensus? I'm torn. I try and take the broad view and think of her as an evil annoying idiot f**k.

With apologies to Bill Hicks

spindrift

I read somewhere that people become Journalists because they don't want a real job. That's all she's doing. Just taking it to the nth degree.

Yes, although that's generous.

Writing silly obscure articles that proclaim

"Cyclists are scum, they punched my colour-blind ginger grandmother and are all lycra nazis and punch kittens"

generates a bulging mailbag and outraged comments like the ones The Telegraph deleted below Erin's previous article.

Is that supposed to be a vindication of the author of such a hate-filled piece? Does it excuse it somehow?

Do they really judge the efficacy or otherwise of hacks by the reaction they provoke?

In Erin's case I don't honestly think she's trying to do a Clarkson or a Parris, she's not intelligent enough for that. She really, honestly believes it. Which is terribly sad.

Maybe I'm being cynical, but consider this, if attacks on cyclists like the one that paralysed the Essex cyclist cannot directly be linked with silly, spiteful articles like Erins or the others, then, were London to be hit by a wave of nail bombs in pubs, what would be the reaction be to a columnist who said that planting nail bombs in pubs was a good idea?

Joke?

Hyperbole?

Light-hearted banter?

I don't take it seriously, she's just a silly cow trying to make a name for herself but, although she doesn't advocate attacking cyclists, she says she hates most of them and that's really, really depressing, if true.

Anyway, I've been for a ride by the canal in the sunshine and I don't care about the silly moo who falls off her motorbike everytime she sees an alarming shadow, I am in an unbreachable good mood despite desperate-for-fame columnists.

Top Bottom