Would you do an OU course?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I feel the urge to expand my horizons a bit and was looking at the OU, trying to find a course that appeals. One which will broaden my horizons rather than enhance my career i.e. I want to do something I want to do.

I looked at Philosophy but it looks a bit heavy going. Economics, but it's a bit dry. Environmental studies is not me either. The one that appeals is Sociology, I mean it's an 'ology' for a start and it's kind of interesting because I imagine it'll educate about what makes up the fabric of society and why it all ticks the way it does. This appeals to the people watcher in me.

What do you think?

It also looks hard work and expensive as well, anyone done an OU course?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Yes. Trying to get on one in actual fact. I know someone who did undergrad biology with them.

What's wrong with sociology? It has a lot in common with economics btw (depending on the emphasis of course). You've got several spheres that are big in sociology that might interest you - the crime side, health (not at the OU I understand), social policy, smaller topics like film and religion etc.

Landslide

Rare Migrant
From what I've heard it's an expensive way of doing it.
Maybe you could find an evening course at a local college for a bit, see if it's suited to you first?

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
Me.

I used to work there and did the Oceanography course - very interesting but widely regarded as the toughest course to pick (3rd level course). It was the only one that remotely interested me though so I did it anyway.

The Chemistry (of seawater etc.) finished me off, and the lack of precision in the answers which were required for the assignments was an eye opener for me too - I'm used to precision to a couple of decimal places at least (from a background in Physics) but here the answer "the seamount will be less than 500m from the surface of the water" was acceptable!!!

My dad did an OU sociology degree. Not for career advancement, but for interest and to prove that he could, being of the generation that didn't get to go to uni as of right. It took him seven years to complete (while working full time) and he had to re-take his finals but he got it. I was incredibly proud of him when he graduated. :biggrin:

It's a big commitment, but probably well worth it.

marinyork

Landslide has a point. A-level Sociology if offered at college at a night course is quite similar to degree sociology in some respects.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Yes Sociology sounds appealing, most appealing of all the ones I've looked at. It does look expensive but nightschool does not appeal. I've done stuff at night school and hated going to it.

The committment/self-motivation part is both attractive and scary that's why it has to be something I want to do. I've done the career degree, I took no joy or enrichment from it, it just opened the doors. I figure on doing it slowly. How long do you get for an OU degree?

Night Train

Maker of Things
An ex of mine did an Art History OU degree. I loved it as I was really into sharing her reseach and going in to art galleries and understanding the meaning behind the artwork. I think I loved it more then she did.

I am doing my MSc at CAT for pretty much the same reasons. It all takes a lot of self discipline to keep studying. Booking a regular study period for yourself at home is a must if you are prone to procrastinating or family distraction. Treat it as having to attend classes at set times and and then stick to it.

My ex wife did a sociology degree at Uni and got a 2.1. She said it was 95% getting drunk at student parties and and 5% sobering up in the exams. :biggrin:

ACS

Legendary Member
Have to admit I did try MT262 as a tester and found that the OU did not suit me. Perhaps it was the wrong course and I thought that my some my tutor group considered the course a kind of academic race. The OU is excellent and I found their support / advice network to be first class it just did not suit my style of learning.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Chuffy said:
My dad did an OU sociology degree. Not for career advancement, but for interest and to prove that he could, being of the generation that didn't get to go to uni as of right. It took him seven years to complete (while working full time) and he had to re-take his finals but he got it. I was incredibly proud of him when he graduated. :biggrin:

It's a big commitment, but probably well worth it.

Hats off to your dad. I know a few people who've never done degrees and feel, slightly bitter perhaps or maybe just unsatisified that they've never scratched that itch. It takes a big leap to go out take on those kind of unscratched itches.

marinyork

I'm not sure there is a time limit for some courses crackle. Remember as well as being allowed to take individual courses there is cert/diploma/degree and some are part way towards others.

I think you're theoretically allowed to take 120 credits a year at undergrad but I can't remember what the person said was the typical amount of time. I think the person I knew took between 6 and 9 years to get it.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
Did my degree with the OU. It does require a fair amount of self discipline - you *need* to do a couple of hours work a day as a minimum - any less and you just won't keep up.
Since it's modular, you can pick courses that sound interesting and that'll help with the motivation. Some of the named degrees - Psychology being a case in point - do require that you study set modules, but if you're just after a BA or BSc you can pretty much please yourself.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
I got my degree with the OU too, good way to do it if you gotta work (various courses, mostly chemistry, maths and materials).

I'm going to do some other courses sometime, too busy at the moment with working, cycling, the allotment, music etc.

ChrisKH

Guru
TheDoctor said:
Did my degree with the OU. It does require a fair amount of self discipline - you *need* to do a couple of hours work a day as a minimum - any less and you just won't keep up.
Since it's modular, you can pick courses that sound interesting and that'll help with the motivation. Some of the named degrees - Psychology being a case in point - do require that you study set modules, but if you're just after a BA or BSc you can pretty much please yourself.

My brother is curently doing an online Psychology degree (through the OU?), as he doesn't have a degree.

wafflycat

I've done S802, part of the MSc in Science. Haven't had time to do any more.

Plus sides of OU study:-

Modular - you can choose what you want to study in many cases
Done in own time - prospective employers appreciate the demonstration of effort required to learn in own time.

Down sides -
Can be a lonely way to learn.
Done whilst still holding down full-time employment - heavy workload
Expensive.
If you are doing a named degree you will have set modules you MUST complete. You may not like some of them!

Top Bottom