Would you do it??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have a Specialized Sirrus LTD full carbon bike, which I have recently converted this to drop bars. This has been a major success apart from one area, the brakes.

The bike is equipped with Avid single digit V brakes and the requisite travel agents to take up lever movement, but in this one area the bike just isn't a road bike. On my other road bikes the brakes area great, which has got me thinking of changing the Sirrus to calliper brakes the same as the others.

This is where the problems start. I can easily replace the forks for a set that will accommodate longer drop callipers, but the crunch comes with the rears. In order to mount the rear brake I would have to drill the little bridge bit between the seat stays as it isn't already drilled from manufacture.

Come on then folks, would you drill it? or just put up with the V brakes in fear of wrecking a frame?

02GF74

Über Member
Drill the carbon bridge?????

No way. Just took a peek at my Bianchi and the bridge has a square lump in the centre for the hole - I suspect most frames would be strengthend in that area.

My guess is if you drill the bridge not designed for calipers then there is good chance that the brdige will break due to the forces extered fromthe calipers. The bridge also to some extent stiffens the rear so you'll compromise the frame.

If I understand wot your are saying, you have bosses for V-brakes? If it were me, I would look at buying or making some sort of converter.

Not sure if they exist but the thing I have in mind is shown below in the photo - these are Pace forks and they have a bolt on brakce between the two forks.

!BkVETgwCGk~$(KGrHqMH-EUEs9E6Mub,BL(Id5Dk0!~~_12.JPG

PpPete

Legendary Member
How about cyclo-cross brakes on the rear bosses? May not really be the look you want on your road bike, but they work just great with STI levers.

Armegatron

Not sure if this is what your after and Im assuming the part to be drilled is removable / replaceable, but it might be worth giving this guy a try, http://www.fibre-lyte.co.uk/index.html Ive used their stuff before when I used to do RC car racing and they produce good quality custom carbonfibre parts to make.

jpembroke

I'd have sold it and bought a road bike.

or fitted canti brakes (possibly a more helpful suggestion). Shimano 550s or Tektro Oryx are worth a look. There are loads to chose from.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Why worry? It's the front brake that does most of the work; it should be capable of making the bike do an endo.

jpembroke

Steve Austin said:
You can get a thing to mount cantilever brakes. i'll see if i can find you one

Ah yes good point. You need a steerer tube mounted cable hanger for the front (it'll replace a couple of spacers) and a seat clamp mounted cable hanger for the rear. You should be able to get both for under £15.

02GF74

Über Member
Steve Austin said:
You can get a thing to mount cantilever brakes. i'll see if i can find you one

yes but here already has cantilever brakes on the rear, albeit v-brake flavour - he wants a thingy to allow him to fit calliper brakes.

or have I misunderstood the question?

Top Bottom