Would you drill holes in your bike frame

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

number3

Marathon Runner
Hi all,
I want to fit my pump to my frame but the bracket is awkward and to fit it comfortably I would need to drill a couple of holes in the bikes frame and thus spoiling it's looks. Is this the done thing or should I try and look for a better bracket?

eck

Über Member
A better bracket? Or zip tie it to the frame?
What is the bracket you're having problems with?

OP
OP
number3

number3

Marathon Runner
The bracket makes the pump stick out of the side of the frame. Ideally I would like the pump to be more central inline with my bottle cage. I have two spare holes where I've removed one bottle cage but the pump bracket makes the pump stick out so that I catch it with my leg when riding

HovR

Über Member
It sounds like you have a type of mount designed to be used on the same mounting point as a bottle cage. It is offset slightly so the two don't interfere with each other. You could try mounting it at the other set of bottle bosses on your bike and see if it still catches your leg there.

You can see what I mean in the picture below.

1262792010735-bz0nruduvh6o-399-75.jpg

You can also get some Velcro loops that are used to fit long pumps. But personally I would not drill holes in my bike.

Davidc

Guru
Beware drilling aluminium frames, you may create start points for cracks. You'd be more likely to get away with it in steel but still not something I'd do. Don't know about carbon or Ti.

OP
OP
number3

number3

Marathon Runner
Thanks for the replies people. I'm leaning toward the topeak bracket. That looks exactly what I'm after.

green1

Über Member
Beware drilling aluminium frames, you may create start points for cracks. You'd be more likely to get away with it in steel but still not something I'd do. Don't know about carbon or Ti.
Very unlikely to start a crack that way. A very common way to stop cracks growing is to drill a hole at either end of it.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Here's how I mounted a Lezyne mini-pump on my latest pride & joy, the Specialized Roubaix Expert SL4 road bike I bought in November :smile:

cialized%20Roubaix%20Expert%20SL4%20-%20bidon%20cage%20%26%20pump%20bracket%20-%20crop%20-%20sml.jpg

It's the same mounting style as HovR mentioned above, and this picture I think shows how little space the pump occupies. The mount came with the pump, and is simply a clip-in, with a velcro strap for extra security (probably redundant, though, because the clip-in mount is quite secure).

Top Bottom