Would you rather lease/subscribe to a bike than own it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thecommuter

So me and a friend that also bicycles everyday just came up with the idea of leasing or subscribing monthly to a bicycle. We imagine all the perks of owning a bike, but without any of the hassle. We know there are a few services offering something like this already.

We would love to know what you think about electric bicycles and a model of owning versus leasing/subscribing? It would mean a lot if you could take a few minutes to answer a few questions we have about this in this google survey we made: https://forms.gle/egkuKqFEpfUtACRT6

classic33

Leg End Member
I did do, but found it nigh on impossible to actually get the bike when required.

What happens to any money paid if the scheme collapses?

The above posted whilst waiting on the form loading. Not a fan of "Required Fields/Answers in any questionnaire.
Will not be completing it.

Last edited:

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
That’s essentially what the “cycle to work” schemes are with an option to purchase at the end of the lease period. The big advantage of C2W is that you pay from your gross earnings thereby saving a huge amount in tax. Another advantage of C2W is that you are essentially getting an interest free loan over the duration of the lease period. For me, a lease scheme without an option to purchase, a tax advantage and a significant overall saving when you come to purchase would be of no interest.

PS (edit):
I don’t know what you mean by “hassle”. You don’t have service intervals on a bike like you do with a car. Bike maintenance is ongoing such as lubrication and the biggest hassle is when you get a puncture while out on a ride. I doubt any lease company would provide roadside assistance to eliminate that hassle.

Last edited:
Bike leasing has been done with varying levels of success in the Netherlands.

As to your survey if a question is required to be answered then it is important to include all possible options or allow users to add their own.
Questions 2, 3 & 8 need more options. I had to supply one of your answers, not the answer I wanted to give.
So 3/10 answers from me do not reflect what I actually think. Or would pay for.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I would never consider that. One good cycle that does it all for me. If anything a scheme like that just de skills people even further than they are now. A generation ago repair and mend was normal, now so many people can't even do basic tasks.

Sharky

Guru
I've bought a bike thru the C2W scheme, but otherwise, all my bikes have been purchases and many of these have been partial upgrades.

I would not consider leasing for long term usage as I am often changing components, wheels, etc and would probably invalidate the T&C's.

I do know of a former clubmate who had emigrated down under and on a return for a three month visit back in the UK, hired a bike for his stay. But this was an out and out time trial bike as he wanted to race here and didn't want to bring his bike over.

I have no need (yet) for an e-bike. I am fortunate that at my tender age, I am still OK with a normal bike. Might consider perhaps in the future.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
"That I don't have to pedal, but can use only a throttle to use the electric aid"

Not on British roads you won't.
I think e-bikes are excellent and I shall be getting one myself when I can no longer manage the hills. But if ever they allow you use the motor without pedalling then they will instantly lose my support.

mustang1

Guru
So me and a friend that also bicycles everyday just came up with the idea of leasing or subscribing monthly to a bicycle. We imagine all the perks of owning a bike, but without any of the hassle. We know there are a few services offering something like this already.

We would love to know what you think about - stuff deleted

What is the hassle part of owning a bike?

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Just had a look at the leading UK renters out there. Glad I was sitting down. 200 sheets - as Drago would have it - a month for an alloy 2x8 eg trek with claris. A month!
Reminds me of the business an old pal of mine set up in London. Anything done, if you can’t be bothered or have more cash than common. He had clients who had him round to open beer bottles at barbecues, or make proper coffee, or check the central heating oil level.

..... the biggest hassle is when you get a puncture while out on a ride. I doubt any lease company would provide roadside assistance to eliminate that hassle.
At least one of the Dutch bike leading options (pitched to students) has a bike replacement service for punctures - or any technical fault.
Anyone who starts a thread with the word "so" immediately puts my back up and I feel it’s destined for failure.
A friend and I …
The OP is most likely a student and carrying out schoolwork.

I'm pretty sure that we're not supposed to correct grammar and for some posters on here English is not their first language.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I can see leasing causing hassles that aren’t currently there.

With things like car lease repairs and servicing are covered in the lease amount. If a wheel fails or a BB fails or a chain needs replacing. Is this all covered by the leaser (you). What’s the turn around for repairs / replacement parts on leased bikes?

If I’m just renting a bike, doing all my own maintenance, but don’t get to keep the bike. Where’s the benefit in that?

Top Bottom